Interestign pieces of furniture - 21

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

OK, here we have the 21st in the series of interesting pieces of furniture for your consideration which was sent to me by one of our members a while back.

The member said:

The Pondlife Bench is a "love it or hate it" piece of garden furniture by Philip Koomen whose workshop is in the village of Checkendon in South Oxfordshire a few miles from my home.

The original "Pondlife" bench was produced in 1998. It has been described by The Independent as "organic and wildly eccentric" and by Channel 4 as "absolutely beautiful". The Pondlife bench began as a one-off experimental flight of fancy, exploring the relationship between furniture and sculpture. The design aims to create an object that transcends its functional purpose, engaging the user and observer in an unusual aesthetic and tactile experience.

Since 2001, Philip Koomen has been developing the concept as a semi-bespoke range that can be made to order. Following his philosophy of producing sustainable furniture designs he researched the feasibility of using locally sourced timber from Oxfordshire woodlands. He is now able to produce the new range using sweet chestnut thinnings from one of the University of Oxford's managed woodlands. The seats are made from English cedar of Lebanon.

I've had the pleasure of a tour of the facilities and a sit on a similar bench. It's surprising comfortable.

pondlife%20at%2080%25.JPG

The website showing more of Mr Koomen's work is here
http://www.koomen.demon.co.uk/

All are welcome to comment on the pieces and please pm me with links to any photos that you would like featured here and a few lines explaining why

I will copy all items of furniture I post here into a single sticky thread in the Design Forum, thus creating a pictorial 'list' of interesting furniture here

Love it! Tho, wouldn't try to make it. This would look great in a bar or hotel abroad. Wouldn't fit into my decor tho.

I really like that. I design gardens as part of my job. I think I would use this bench as a focal point and design the garden around it. It really has that organic feel to it and it would provoke a lot of interest. My only reservation is that it looks bloody dangerous! I would definately not put it in a garden if there is any likelyhood of childeren playing.

I saw a picture of this piece a long time ago. I liked it then and I still do. It has a dynamism and tactile quality that is so hard to achieve. I agree that it appears to have the potential to poke your eye out, but that doesn't put me off the piece - one would simply take that into account in deciding where to position it.

It's one of my favourite pieces from this interesting furniture series. I wish I'd made it.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I'm in the camp with Sooty and Woodbloke.
I would not buy it or be bold enough to try to sell it if I owned it. :oops:
Reminds me of some type of torture machine. :evil:

Travis

Ugly, Awkward, Bare and 'mentally uncomfortable' to sit on are just a few of the descriptions that spring to mind. Almost like being surrounded by the Triffids.

Apart from that, I don't like it :evil:

that must have taken ages, pity it's 'alright in a garden, maybe'.

On a slight tangent, I saw in the past a company making tables that were glass tops, wooden legs and bridge-like structures as rails, does anyone know what I mean, I have been looking everywhere to find them!

Aidan

Transylvanian garden bench, would keep Nosferatu at bay I think :D ? Not for me though

Cheers :D
Tony

EDIT: Just had a look at some other work on this guys web site. Really liked a lot of the stuff he shows here.

How come Health and Safety haven't insisted on him putting eye protectors on the end of all the spikes?
They supply them in garden centres to stop you putting an eye out on bamboo plant supports..........

Not convinced I like it myself, I suspect some experiments should stay hidden from sight. Having said that it does help to see this piece or its relative, in it's intended setting and in it's intended setting it does take on a different light.

pondlife%20bourton%20at%2060%25.JPG

Cheers Mike

Strange for sure, just cannot see what's "organic" about it at all, and as for "transcends it's function etc etc...", well it doesn't for me.

But as a 'specimen' garden seat, to be found in a 'specimen' garden of the large variety....yes indeed, a welcome mini burst of eccentricity in what is so often 'grey'.

I think it's fantastic, but it needs to be outside furniture.

I like the slightly enclosed feel of it, as though it might offer some shelter (although I doubt that it would :D )

Cheers,

Dod

I think its gross, and I would be scared of being sued for any accidents over it, however the spikes are interesting, how much is it again?, might get one for the mil to sit on rather than in.

Love it, You have just got to keep pushing that boat out and try new stuff. I would find a space for that if I had made it.
Lots of stuff has been done before and challenging people is always good. Wished I could make something like that.
Owen

Back