Interchangeable Batteries

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mack9110000

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not all that familiar with cordless drills etc.so I'm wondering if any of the batteries are interchangeable ie. Makita,DeWalt,etc,of the same voltage of course, just between different manufacturers?

In my experience, none of them are interchangeable between manufacturers, though some of them offer batteries that are common to a range of tools.

I agree with Argus. To date I have three types of Bosch, one Triton, one Dewalt and two 'identical' Ferm. None are compatible. I'm standardising on 18v Bosch.

Now you'd think that the Ferm being the same voltage and connector would be compatible as time goes by. Not so :twisted: I discovered that the sneaky wotsits have a third connection and this taps into a different voltage setting inside the battery pack in my two drills. Upshot of it is that there is no guarantee that a battery/charger combination will be in any way compatible with the same drill a year later DAMHIKT. To all intents and purposes the drills are identical.

Would that mean buying separate batteries,chargers, for every different cordless tool ie drills,saws, even from the same manufacturer?

mack9110000":10n6nhh8 said:
Would that mean buying separate batteries,chargers, for every different cordless tool ie drills,saws, even from the same manufacturer?

No not necessarily. Some manufacturers offer a range of equipment and you buy one, or two batteries (i.e. one to use, one charging) and they fit all the equipment in the range. Or people like DeWalt seem to have interchangeable batteries but watch out as they seem to have a range of different battery voltages, so everything from the same manufacturer won't always work.

Adam

My 14v B&D cordless circ saw runs well on my 12V Dewalt batteries :D

BTW if anyone is after a new cordless combi or a couple of spare 12V Dewalt Batteries SF are doing the older model of the XRP combi for £99.99, not a bad price considering just the two 2.4Ah batteries that come with it would cost you £89.98 and a year ago the same thing cost about £200.00. I just ordered one and will put the drill away as a spare as I already have one for each hand :wink:

Jason

Latest posts

Back