Insulating a shed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul200

Established Member
Reaction score
A bit of background. When we moved up to this delightful part of Scotland last year we had a very urgent need for extra storage space for most of the tools that came from my small workshop down south. The answer was a cheap and nasty B&Q shed. It was 10' x 8' with double doors and no windows and fulfilled it's purpose for a few months.
IMG_0774b.jpg

A new workshop is planned but it will be close to a part of the house that we intend to demolish and rebuild more substantially and slightly bigger - so the rebuild has to happen before the workshop. Last winter was quite mild but my tools still suffered a bit from condensation so I decided the shed needed insulating before this winter, which is supposedly going to be a bit harsh.

I've been busy with jobs around the house and building this - my-sitooterie-t90558.html - for most of the year but reckoned I'd have plenty of time to sort out the shed before winter set in. And then it rained......

And rained........

So now the winter weather is here and I've still got the shed to insulate but, although cold, it's not raining. Once my workshop is built and my tools are happy and warm in their new home we always intended to use the shed as a potting shed/garden tool storage so needed some windows fitted so we could see what we were doing. The windows were rescued from our house window replacement earlier this year.

Started off by installing new uprights each side of the new window reveals to the same depth as the existing framework then, after screwing the cladding to the new uprights, cutting out the reveal with a jigsaw.
IMG_0236b.jpg

Next job was to spread a good layer of roofing sealant around the reveal and push the window into the hole, securing it with screws through the framing.
IMG_0233b.jpg

The second window was installed and new framework added top and bottom to both.
IMG_0235b.jpg

IMG_0256b.jpg

The pictures are a little out of sequence because Herself kept nicking the camera - but you get the general idea. I've since tacked a membrane onto the framework and started building studwork inside of 50mm x 38mm to take 50mm insulation and, eventually, 11mm OSB3 over that. I'll admit it's not substantial but is certainly an improvement on the original. One potential problem is that the breathable membrane finishes inside the wall, sitting on the floor. This isn't ideal but then it is just a potting shed. I've drilled a number of 16mm holes along the top and bottom cladding timbers to create some airflow behind the cladding so hopefully it will keep dry in there.

As always, comments and criticism are very welcome, it's the only way to learn. More to come later.

Slainte!

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_0774b.jpg
    IMG_0774b.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 1,248
  • IMG_0236b.jpg
    IMG_0236b.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 1,248
  • IMG_0233b.jpg
    IMG_0233b.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 1,248