Inside Krenov's workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete W

Established Member
Reaction score
The US DIY Network (which shows the David Marks series) has upgraded its video offerings, and there's a cool episode of Woodworks up right now.

Marks visits James Krenov and Art Espenet Carpenter, and talks about woodworking in general, design aesthetics, wood selection and more. There are also interesting views of their workshops.

I know Krenov isn't to everyone's taste, but it still makes for a great 20-minutes viewing.

I think the whole video thing is done in Flash, which performs great but makes it trickier to link to. Try this one first:
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/pac_ctnt_ ... 27,00.html
and if that doesn't work, try this one and follow the menu:
http://www.diynetwork.com/webdiy/channels/woodworking/

Pete,

That was fun, thank you.

I had a student who went on to the school of the redwoods and may be the only one ever to continue to use his metal planes there...

David C

Interesting that 'The Master' seems to use so few tools and the ones he does use seem very basic. A lesson there, I think :wink:

Cheers

Paul

Paul Chapman":2hberi6o said:
Interesting that 'The Master' seems to use so few tools and the ones he does use seem very basic. A lesson there, I think :wink:

Cheers

Paul

I think it was a little misleading in that respect, if you read his books you'll see he uses a fair amount of powered tooling as well. Bandsaw, morticer etc Nice to think that hes a hand tools only kind of guy but thats probably an overly romatic view of things though he does appear to rely on a set of basic and self made tools heavily - the planes, the carving knives etc.

Mike

I have most of the books and have read them at large. He does use a number of basic, good quality power tools eg. a decent heavy duty large bandsaw (for re-sawing and producing veneers), a 10" table saw with horizontal morticer, a jointer and a good router/shaper which will accept a wide variety of bits. That's about it, there certainly isn't the huge variety of 'must have' slope-worthy machines/jigs (Rat :roll: ) which some find necessary. Most of the work is done one the bench with his large variety of hand tools (many, including the planes) made by himself - Rob

Back