Inlaying a marquetry motif into a veneered top.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawdust maker

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
I’m making a cupboard and the top will be veneered I would like to inset a marquetry fan motif into it. I will purchase the round fan. I'm wondered if anyone can give me some advice. Can I safely inlay the fan into the background veneer and then give both a pre-finishing sand? Or should the fan be inlayed after the background has been sanded. As I’m sure you know the segments of these inlay fans have shading to one side and I suppose what I’m really asking is how much sanding will they take before you lose the shading.

I think you would be alright to sand after setting them in, the shading is usually done by dipping the said pieces in hot sand to scorch the wood so the shading should pretty well go right through the thickness of the veneer.

Inlay first, then scrape and/or sand. You won't remove the shading.

if you're using commercial veneers you really can't do all that much sanding anyway. Most veneers are usually 0.6mm nominal, but the key word is nominal! It's not unusual to find they're actually 0.5mm or less. If you're laying onto a dead flat ground like MDF it's not usually a problem, but if you're veneering onto a substrate with the slightest ripple or undulation (i.e. virtually all plywoods) then it's very easy to sand right through a high spot.

Back