Inlay banding

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andersonec

Established Member
Reaction score
Waiting for my router to come back from Trend (lost without it) I thought I would try some banding, all those bits of scrap lying around which will no doubt end up as firewood and banding costing £1 a strip and rising, it seems to make sense, Here's what resulted from my little trial.
The hounds tooth produced four times less than the starting lengths.
I think I know where I will be getting by banding from now on.

Andy :lol:

Attachments

• Banding 2.jpg
    Banding 2.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 1,173
  • Banding 1.jpg
    Banding 1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,173
Sportique":f5tsf7jc said:
P L E A S E show us how Dave

Dave,
At a loose end today, 'er indoors has gone out with her pal so I thought I would do some more of that Hounds tooth as I thought that one was nice and also have a go at a longer length, see what problems arise.

Firstly, two strips of contrasting scrap, here 'Ive got Sycamore and Walnut, they were about 5mm thick and waiting to be used, or scrapped, band sawn a little thinner. These are 900mm long, we will see how long a piece they will produce.
Hounds tooth 1.jpg

Then put through the thicknesser till thin as the timber can take it without smashing to bits, this came out at about 3mm, wish I had a drum sander =P~ then you could get it as thin as you like without the fear of damage and you could control the thickness.
Hounds tooth 2.jpg

These are then glued together, the masking tape is just to stop them slipping sideways when clamping. The paper is wax paper, nicked while she was out, just to stop the glue sticking to my other pieces.
Hounds tooth 3.jpg

Clamps, clamps and more clamps, my trials taught me that you need to get as many clamps on as you can, with it being so delicate a piece, any tiny gaps will show.
Hounds tooth 4.jpg

Hounds tooth 5.jpg

Next installment tomorrow as I will let these cure over night.

Andy

Attachments

• Hounds tooth 1.jpg
    Hounds tooth 1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,150
  • Hounds tooth 2.jpg
    Hounds tooth 2.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,135
  • Hounds tooth 3.jpg
    Hounds tooth 3.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,157
  • Hounds tooth 4.jpg