Inkscape Grid Overlay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gill

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a pattern designed in Inkscape that I would like to scale up. Rather than enlarging the pattern and printing out several sheets of paper which then have to be taped together, I would prefer to overlay the image with a grid so I can then transfer the key image points directly onto a larger grid which I will draw on the workpiece.

Does anyone know how to generate a grid overlay using Inkscape?

Hi Gill
I've had a look in inkscape but can't find any command to embed the grid. There's 2 possible ways round one is to 'draw' the lines in manually as a separate layer (a real pain imho) or two ask Jim from the other site.
I will post a thread on there and get back to you. Not much help I know.

Gary

I've got it sorted :) . I've created an Inkscape svg file which is a simple grid designed to overlay an A4 landscape pattern. All you need to do is copy the layer and paste it as a new layer on whatever pattern you are using. I've tried to attach a copy to this post but unfortunately files with the extensions 'zip' and 'svg' aren't allowed :( .

If anyone wants to create their own grid, just use the bezier tool to draw lines over the standard grid using the 'snap to' function.

Edit:

Does this link work?

Hi Gill
Yes I can see it :) I haven't got an answer yet from the other site :(

Gary

PS
Had a reply, but it seems there's no way to auto print the grid, Gill your method seems best.

@Gill:

I may be too late (have only just seen your post) but although I know NOTHING at all abouit Inkscape it occurs to me that most printers (inc my 2 HPs and an Epson) allow you top print a "watermark" over any sort of document - I'm assuming that the output of Inkscape is some sort of file that is then sent to the printer, just like anything else? In the past I've done this on various Word, Excel, and PDF files (haven't tried it with Sketchup yet though).

If so then you should be able to set up a watermark consisting of a grid of, say, one inch/ten or twenty mm squares which prints over (or under) the original file, all as part of the same ptinting process. And on one of my HPs plus on the Epson you can also adjust the density/darkness/faintness of the watermark.

Could that be a solution to your problem?

Krgds
AES

Latest posts

Back