Info on an Antique

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rikyrik81

Reaction score
Hi everyone, im new here and im not sure if this is in the right place so sorry if not.

Im restoring this side table thats been in the family for years but dont know the first thing about it. My mum thinks its cheap 70s and she may well be right but ive just stripped the dark finish off it and the veneer looks time consuming and intricate with the inlay etc.

Regarding the Veneer on the top im guessing Cherry on the outerside and teak in the middle area, im not brilliant at identifying antique materials so i dont expect to be right.
The base looks like it might be oak or ash with a dark mahogany stain.

Im going to french polish it and sell it so any info would be much appreciated. Im not expecting it to be worth anything but good to know and also good to practice on.
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    407.2 KB · Views: 204
  • image.png
    image.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 204
Can't help much I'm afraid, but I would probably go with relatively modern. The thickness of the veneer is often a good clue as to age, if there is anywhere you can see it. Are there any cracks in the veneer? If it is old, it's likely that the veneer is laid on solid wood and movement of it over time usually results in some veneer cracking. As to species, the outer veneer looks very like some maple burr I have used in the past. These burrs tend to look much darker than normal maple. Wouldn't like to make a guess at the centre species witrhout bigger pics.

One concern I would have is that the stripped top now looks like it doesn't really belong with the unstripped base, but that amy not matter if you aren't expecting tog et much for it.

Jim

I am no expert, and there are experts on the forum...

IMO the time and therefore money that you will put into repairing and French polishing that will make it uneconomical. what would a perfect one make on Ebay?

Interesting table top veneer. Classical forms meet bad acid trip.
Very 70s. :)

Back