Incra T-Track... NUTS!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neomorph

Established Member
Reaction score
OK... Incra T-Track is a bit of a pain when it comes to using Metric bolts... Why? because 8mm bolts which fit through the track slot will not work with the nuts that fit them. In the end I've figured out that using 8mm coach bolt with two edges ground down will work nicely as cheap T-Bolts which I've had difficulty sourcing in the UK.

It's the same with all Incra stuff it seems. Damn fine equipment but it's all in Imperial. Roger from Woodworkers Workshop sent me info on the fantastic Incra LS Supersystem Fence that looks the bees knees until you realise that it's all marked out in Imperial. Others have mentioned you can partly change it to metric but not completely it seems.

Why, oh Why, can't companies like Incra offer dual Imperial/Metric versions as standard. In the UK most measuring equipment has been marked for both for as long as I can remember (last Tuesday that is but I can't be certain :oops: ).

Actually come to think of it a lot of Jig making kit in this country is hard to come by or loads more expensive than the US. People like Axminster sell the stuff but it comes out to almost twice the price. I paid £10.95 for 48" (1219.2mm) of Incra T-Track from Wood Workers Workshop while Axminster sell their T-Track for £17.46 for 800mm. In relative cost per mm the Axminster track comes to 2.43 times the cost of the Incra and as Incra stuff is supposedly better stuff it's mental in my book.

Sometimes it makes me wonder why we accept the silly prices we have in the UK!

John I sympathise and am as frustrated as you are..almost to the point of setting up a business to import all those bits and pieces but when you look at the bottom line, there's the rub. Because these are all low value items, the profit will be miniscule and I'm not convinced that there is enough demand in this country to justify the stock investment.

The same thing happens to Apple computers. For example, the new Intel Mac Mini is $799 in the US and £599 here.

With regard to the LS, the reason why it's only part convertible is because of the technology...ie a very fine screw thread...unlike the earlier (and still available I believe) which used a plastic toothed track - for which you can still get metric replacements and scales. I guess that for Incra the demand for metric may not justify the cost in producing a metric version...and let's face it, the size of the US market dwarfs that of the UK and so I guess they might be happy enough with sales volumes that they don't see the need to go metric for the LS.

Doesn't help us though :cry:

Like I said in another thread... Why is the only country in the world to kick the Brits out still measuring like they are in the British Empire when even Britain is using Metric... :roll:

Perhaps they can be sold on Pounds, Shillings and Pence as a currency too. :wink:

Well I solved my nut problem (oooh sounds a bit painful that lol)...

I took some 8mm coach bolts and introduced them to my dremel. Chopped off two sided of the dome and turned them into perfect T-Bolts for I'm guessing a fraction of the price of a real one.

Sounds silly doesn't it... remove something to make it more expensive. :shock:

colinc":3g9lzmjf said:
I heard that the USA is going metric inch by inch!!!

raised.gif

Groaaaaannnn!

Thanks for that Guy... The replacement metric scales were only supposed to partially upgade the Incra kit but the rack was supposed to limit it.. but there on the aussie site is the final piece of the puzzle... a metric rack upgrade too.

God that means I now have zero reason for getting an Incra fence... and I can't damn well afford one yet!
misc_depressed.gif

And when I bought my Incra Jig I got the metric scales and racks at the same time (from Tilgear, along with the imperial ones) . However there are still the problems with joint making, odd diameter metric bits, templates and the mixed use of metric and imperial bits. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

I refer the honorable gentlemen back to my post of the 24th in this thread.

Back