In a quandry over which bandsaw to buy, help!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

builderchad

Established Member
Reaction score
My main requirement is to cut smaller pieces but I will need to wheel out the BS on occasions for ripping longer stock. I make mostly carcass stuff but am also dabbling in making tools like bowsaws and framesaws at the moment.

I also have the need to occasionally resaw quite wide boards up to about 220mm (8 1/2). The real quandry is whether or not I justify the extra expense for going to such a cutting hieght for the odd times I will need to resaw. I was contemplating using a framesaw for such occasions but as I am still new to WW I don't know if I would have the skill to pull it off.

So on one hand I could save a bundle and just get the Scheppach 1 and make do with hand resawing or splash out and look at something like the Record BS350. I have also noticed the SIP 01489 which will do 220mm but I am dubious about the quality of these machines.

Any help will be be much appreciated, thanks.

Chad.

Welcome to the forum :)
Before you turn your nose up at the sip bandsaw, a few of us have them and all have been very happy with use and quality of these machines.
So if you get the chance to look at one, do before you make up your mind :) .
I have the 12" bandsaw and some have the 14".
I hope this helps

Thanks for the reply Colin, it is very assuring that others have it and like it. I have also noticed that iTECH do one which looks identical to the 14" and even has the same model number - so I assume they are the same machine:

SIP

iTECH

The nice thing with the iTECH deal is the cabinet base and mitre fence thrown in as a special offer. The only question is after sales support really.

I really like the idea of getting a decent machine for £200 less than the Record BS350 and getting a very similar spec.

I will have a search around the forum for more SIP talk :)

The iTECH does look the same :) ( if you look at most of the bandsaw around the spec, they all look very similar / Record, EB for a start )
They all should come with the mitre fench but the sip also come with a 2 year Warranty and you can alwats make your own base ( I did )
:)

Looks like there is a SIP show on May 11th (unless the page I found is from last year :oops:) and there is a promise of special prices on the day :). I like what other people have said generally about SIP though I havent found a detailed review of this machine yet. I have a few online dealers bookmarked - not sure if I can bare waiting a whole month for the show!

Was there a lot of fettling and toying to do to get tensions right and the table square etc?

I am a handtool freak so my knowledge of powertools and how to tune them is still in the dangerous category so I am a little worried that I will be overwhelmed with metal working and nut sizes.

Oh also, have you tried resawing at the max capacity of 210mm? I will be resawing hardwoods like beech, maple and meranti.

The mix of price and specification on the SIP models have caught my eye also. Now, if only we can get rid of that bloody great chest freezer she hardly uses, then I'll have adequate storage space... :wink:

I always like to buy a tool which comes with a decent warranty, especially cheaper tools and machinery. That way, should any manufacturing short cuts reveal themselves, you're always entitled to a smile on your face after.

You might also like to take a gander at the Buy It Now prices for the SiP bandsaws on eBay - always check the seller's feedback if you're unsure.

builderchad":2teadgdi said:
....snip... I have also noticed the SIP 01489 which will do 220mm but I am dubious about the quality of these machines.
...snip..Chad.

I have just purchased the SIP 01489, I cannot fault the build quality or it's cutting performance for the price I paid.
I was comparing with Record and Axminster (both White range and Perform) .

The brochure states 210mm depth of cut not 220mm. In actual fact as assembled my machine has 208/209 mm clearance below guide rollers.

Outside it's 2 year warranty it would be possible to gain about another 25mm by modifying the head frame and moving the adjustment rack, time will tell if I have need to do this.

Back