I'm not sure how this has happened, but...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
... I appear to have agreed to go to Sierra Leone in a couple of weeks time, to work on building an orphanage. I must be mad. Apart from anythig else, normally when someone asks you to work for them the deal is that they pay you in return. I'm going to do this for a mate who heads up a charity that does this kind of stuff, only I have to pay my own way, too. Hmm.

So if anyone wants to contribute (CAF anyone?).

It's my new-found filming skills that are in demand. He wants me to film what they do for a new DVD, although I think I'll be getting my hands dirty as well. I just hope I'm not the only middle-aged geezer amongst a load of gap-year students. Bah-humbug.

I've got to get some jabs PDQ, fly 3rd April.

I must learn to say no, I must learn to say no, I must learn.....
S

I'm sure you will find it very satisfying, Steve. A colleague of mine at work did a similar thing helping to build a school. He said it was exhausting work but he found it so satisfying and worthwhile, he went and did it again.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Good luck with it Steve and like Paul has said I hope you dont regret doing it ( I think you will be glad you said yes ) :)

TOP MAN!!!!!!!!
Me an' Mrs. S. wish you all the best.
It's a great feeling to help others innit mate?? :D :D

Too short notice for us to arrange the time to do it, but we would have loved to go & help. However, with elderly family members to take care of we have our hands full at the moment.

Mrs. S. says do you want cheese & pickle or ham & mustard on your butties for your journey?? :lol: :lol:

Cheers, sliv & mrs.s.

Well done Steve. I too do not think you will regret it. Just think if it wasn't for people like you and your friend those children who in one way or another have lost their perents wouldn't have a home.
I have already said once today that it amazes me how kind and helpful forum members are and this just backs that up. Well done.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Steve,
Well, as I found with my thread on DV, this forums members are something special, well done to you. :)

Don't forget your anti Malaria tablets (Or maybe there's a jab for that now as well, ouch :wink: ) IIRC you must take them two weeks before departure and (what most people forget) two weeks after arriving home. (Someone please correct me if those times are not correct).

I spent ten years visiting all the West African countries, up to four weeks on each trip, to tell the truth I didn't like it much, but of all the West African countries I always thought Sierra Leone was the best of the bunch.

Congratulations Steve, I'm sure you will end up enjoying yourself tremendously.
When I was a kid I got as far as signing the VSO form but didn't send it back, Now I wish I had grabbed the chance with both hands. Go for it.

Drew

Good on you Steve, no doubt you'll come back much the richer for it! I fully intend to go out and do some charity work in the next few years, I think we all need to something like this to humble us and realise just how damn lucky we are!

Well done that man! Just a couple of tips:
- whatever your Dr says don't agree to taking Larium / Mefloquin as a malaria prophylaxis. I've seen too many people with horrible side effects but I think that it still is the treatment of choice prescribed in the UK. Google the word Larium + side effects if you need convincing. I take Malarone which although expensive has few side effects and you don't have to take it for so long. I also travel with a 'cure' especially when I get back to the UK. Get advice on what expats locally take if they get malaria and buy a packet. That way if you do get sick when back in blighty you can treat yourself initially as the NHS is not good at dealing with tropical diseases. You will find you will be able to walk into any chemist / pharmacy and buy the stuff over the counter without a prescription!
- don't get frustrated if you can't get the sorts of materials you are used to. If there is something - however simple - that you can't do without take it - don't assume you will be able to get it there. A chalk line might be a good example.
- don't get frustrated either if you don't acheive what you hope to acheive. It is no exageration to say that things take 2 - 3 times longer to do here in Africa as compared to the Europe - plus if the trip is fairly soon it is going to be hot and sticky. As I write here in the house it is 33C and 65% RH. In the last 24hrs in the house it has gone up to 39.4C and 83% RH (although not at the same time)
- be careful what you film - take local advice and always get permission. Your mate might want to organise getting an authorisation for you to film - you don't want to end up getting into trouble. Very often markets and public buildings are no go areas but I even got arrested once for photographing someone climbing a palm tree because he was doing a job that was demeaning for an African! what made it funnier was that the tree was in my garden, I was paying him to cut the palm nuts and I'd asked his permission! :roll:
- lastly - have fun! It isn't necessarily what you will do while you are there but what you yourself learn and how you apply it in the future!

All the best,

Steve

Thank you all for the encouragement. It hasn't really sunk in yet.

Excellent advice, Steve, I'll bear it all in mind.

I've got some serious organizing to do this week, I think.

Cheers
Steve
PS Ham salad on granary, please - just a smidge of mayo.

Mike.C":2ecpgzz2 said:
I have already said once today that it amazes me how kind and helpful forum members are

You are not kidding. I've already had two offers of financial support, and from people who don't know me from Adam, except as just another woody bloke on the Net.

Thank you very much indeed. You know who you are.

S

Back