I'm in love

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steviem

Established Member
Reaction score
For the past 8 months I've been struggling with an Anant no.5 Jack plane. It constantly lost its edge, chattered like a puppy and I was forever adjusting the frog.
Yesterday I took delivery of a Clifton no.5 Jack and straight out of the box it was taking the finest of veneers off Kiln dried Oak and smoothing even the end grain of some very tough Elm.

Absolutely beautiful to use - Now to get me a Clifton Block plane.

Just thought I'd mention it :D

steviem":1uplfcsj said:
For the past 8 months I've been struggling with an Anant no.5 Jack plane. It constantly lost its edge, chattered like a puppy and I was forever adjusting the frog.
Yesterday I took delivery of a Clifton no.5 Jack and straight out of the box it was taking the finest of veneers off Kiln dried Oak and smoothing even the end grain of some very tough Elm.

The joys of the 'Slope'...welcome :wink: but don't tell Mike G - Rob

AH! Another Eureka moment - two this week it seems!

You guys are not doing my mind any good...followed by wallet...

I can see the slope beckoning....it's evil isn't it...the Devil is at the bottom isn't he? Or...is there indeed a bottom?

I'm thinking...should I just remortgage the house...sell the dog and just jump straight to Sauer and Steiner and miss the bit in between?

:D :D :D

Jim

The slope levels out for a wee while, then there's a ski-jump and you are suddenly following Eddie... :lol: :tool:

John

jimi43":2sdld2ec said:
I can see the slope beckoning....it's evil isn't it..(Q1)the Devil is at the bottom isn't he? Or..(Q2)is there indeed a bottom?

I'm thinking...(Q3)should I just remortgage the house...(Q4)sell the dog and just (Q5) jump straight to Sauer and Steiner and miss the bit in between?

:D :D :D

Jim
Q1 answer - not to my knowledge
Q2 answer - ditto
Q3 answer - yes, the big R is ending so house prices should be on the up
Q4 answer - you won't get much for the dog, SWIMBO might be more profitable
:whistle:
Q5 answer - yes on both counts

Hope to of been of some assistance Jim :lol: - Rob

Well done with the cliffie :eek:ccasion5: only problem is they seem to breed like rabbits, before you know it you'll have a cupboard full :wink:

Beardo16":22jt9d7f said:
wizer":22jt9d7f said:
steviem":22jt9d7f said:
Now to get me a Clifton Block plane.

Good luck with that. Maybe one day!

Anyone know if there is one in the pipeline at all?
Yes there is. Some of the lads on here have seen the prototype at a tool show. But there's been no apparent movement on it in several years.

With cheaper reasonably good Stanley and Quangsheng planes now entering the market now, I doubt Clico (Clifton) would take the financial risk of launching their block plane.

Cheers, Vann.

With cheaper reasonably good Stanley and Quangsheng planes now entering the market now, I doubt Clico (Clifton) would take the financial risk of launching their block plane.

I have resonably new stanley block plane and its no where near as good as the older model from 20 plus years ago i use in the workshop
I think there is a real need for a good quality version of the old stanley and records 09 1/2 and 60 1/2 or better still the 018 1/2

steviem":bu98u361 said:

Wasn't there another thread asking how much difference could there be?

:)

BugBear

Hi,

I've lurked for quite some time on this forum and thought, since the original post was in reference to an Anant No 5., I'd join to post.
I got a No 5 last year and while it's wasn't great it cost 25 euro. A lot cheaper than a new stanley and the build quality actually looked better.
Did the following:
Replaced the blade with a Stanley blade that was lying about. The original blade probably couldn't be used to even open a tin of paint.
Flattened the bottom which took a bit of time.
Flattened contacts on the frog and the contacts for the frog on the base.
Replaced the chip breaker with one of the clifton ones.

The mouth with the stanley blade is pretty wide, but it will still take very nice shavings. With a D2 from Ray Iles it closes up to virtually nothing requiring the front of the mouth to be filed at an angle.

There's still a huge amount of slop in the adjustment screw, but aside from that it's become a favorite.

For ref: Have an old Stanley #6, old #4.5 and two wooden ones. One I made, one my father made.

Hope I haven't bored everyone, and thanks to all for providing all the info. Brilliant site.

Niles,

Welcome aboard.

Your Anant plane does sound a little like Triggers best broom but I am glad you have it working nicely.

S

Have to confess I had to google Triggers best broom.
You are of course right. The old Stanleys I have are my Fathers, and sort of on loan. Wasn't going to shell out on a new LN or Clifton. They're very nice, but I don't work at woodwork full time. If the plane works well I'm not particularly worried about how it got there or the engraving on the front. Did require a lot of work though to get it in the condition it's in though.
Having said all that if I was working full time I'd have a flat bed planer and not be using planes to flatten beams of rough ash. :wink:

Alan Jones: Fan of the show myself.

John

Apologies for resurrecting an old post. As I posted recently to the thread on aftermarket blades, and mentioned that I had put a D2 blade into an Anant, I thought it might be worth while attaching some photos of shavings to where I listed the work that had been done on the plane. That and I wanted to see how to post images 8-[

Standard shot of shavings. Ash from the lengths mentioned in the last post. Shavings are about .02mm thick if memory serves.
DSCF2168_small.jpg

Shavings from ash end grain; taken while putting a 95 degree angle on one of the posts of a headboard.
DSCF2214_small.jpg

Before I got to this stage the wood was done with a heavily beveled No. 3 as a scrub, then the No. 5 Anant with a bevelled stanley blade. The latter can result in tearout, even with when taking a very light shaving as the mouth's quite open.

Latest posts

Back