If Carlsberg made knives.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi BB

I would remove the old scales and either make new ones or clean them up and refit using epoxy and pins.

If you are making new scales what are you making the scales out of?
Wood, I would recommend epoxy and rivets, mine are only slightly peinned over the epoxy does most of the job.
Corian, epoxy and pins just epoxy every thing together you might split the Corian by peining.

I have a sink cut out of black Corian you are welcome to a piece.

Its not rocket science as long as the scales stay on that's all you need, they aren't subjected to a lot of force and the epoxy will stop moisture causing problems under the scales.
I have some SS cooks knifes that I need to re-handle, the aluminum rivets have started to disintegrate through to many dishwasher cycles.

Any pics?

Pete

Racers":12rsqp8g said:
I would remove the old scales and either make new ones or clean them up and refit using epoxy and pins.

If you are making new scales what are you making the scales out of?
cotoneaster-t79087.html

I like the idea of keeping it super "local".

But I also have various small pieces of exotica including boxwood, rosewood, lignum vitae,
and some funnies from India (Axminster show) and Australia (visit to a wood store on vacation).

(kitchen) Knife scales ain't very big on resource. :D

How do I rivet the pins without splitting the scales? (I could have sworn I saw some washers with tapering
holes for this purpose, or is that overkill?)

BugBear

Its probably overkill all I did was a slight taper in the holes and a few taps.
I did manage to slightly split the small knife scale, which is why I don't recommend riveting them.
Epoxy is your friend :D

Pete

Just to pre-empt the inevitable. request for pictures:

wrh.jpg

Blade length is 7 3/4", total weight is a delightful 120g.

Well worth the 50p I paid. :D

BugBear

Attachments

• wrh.jpg
    wrh.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 575
bugbear":2p4hj93i said:
Just to pre-empt the inevitable. request for pictures:

Blade length is 7 3/4", total weight is a delightful 120g.

Well worth the 50p I paid. :D

BugBear

Nice

But I did ask 3 posts ago ;-)

Pete

Back