ideas for a neewbie to make from small diameter green wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairytoes

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi to all on the forum!

I'm new to turning & have made a few goblets & foot massagers, among other items which initially give the impression they have been made by a hungry labrador.

I live in southern Spain & I have branch wood from olive, avacado, orange, lemon & stone pine freely available - but in small diameters.
I've made the wee mushrooms & will try my hand at a honey spoon thing tommorrow, I don't yet have the skill for boxes (one step at a time!).

My question is: Do you guys have some good ideas for me to try out on the branches (some are quite big, maybe 13cm).

I might upload some photos for a laugh, just to endear myself to the community! :lol:

Cheers CHJ,

I've seen a few of these on the site & some guys were saying they can catch fire (I think olive wood is quite oily), what the hell I'll give them a go.

Cheers!

hairytoes":25zdjenq said:
Cheers CHJ,

I've seen a few of these on the site & some guys were saying they can catch fire (I think olive wood is quite oily), what the hell I'll give them a go.

Cheers!

You can get glass inserts to go in the wood recess which reduces that risk considerably.

Try craft suppliers or market stalls that sell Christmas/religious decorations.

I'm sorry I don't know how to save the photo from your gallery, but there is a small beech & cocobola tooth pick holder, which would probably do well in Spain (excellent idea & very well executed).

May I enquire if the insert is all turned from one piece, with the knob on top additional for decorative purposes? Or has the little holder foot at the bottom been added in some way?

Sorry for the barrarge of questions, but the muse is upon me.
Well until the football starts!

hairytoes":3uf769xs said:
has the little holder foot at the bottom been added in some way?

All four internal components were turned separately.

You will not be able to make those from green wood because they will distort when drying.

How about bud vases? I've never made any but they are a standard turning project. You can get plastic inserts so that you can put water in them to make flowers last longer.

Drill the centre of the wood to whatever depth you want,
Hold work between centres
Turn outer shape
finish
part off

As I said, I've never made one but I'm guessing that's all you need to do

Duncan

Latest posts

Back