Ideas for a load of chipboard?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tool-me-up

Established Member
Reaction score
I have two dismantled wardrobes they are melamine coated chipboard, beech effect. There is four sheets of it about 7ft long and 2ft wide,
Ideas what to turn it into?
I first thought of making a small - ish chest of drawers but ive done this before and the drawers where very heavy and hard to slide - because of their weight I assume.

Melamine coated chipboard looks at it's best when it is embellishing the inside of a skip. If you're really lucky, you may find some decent (real) timber in the skip you sling the chipboard in - make something worthwhile from that instead.

Cheshirechappie":2p1oics9 said:
Melamine coated chipboard looks at it's best when it is embellishing the inside of a skip. If you're really lucky, you may find some decent (real) timber in the skip you sling the chipboard in - make something worthwhile from that instead.

Appreciate the feelings, i could do for workshop shelves if i rip it up, just would rather make something more useful from it if possible

plenty to think about I suppose, it matches most of the furniture in the house not particularly keen on it but its functional and does its job.....
book case or something similar is looking likely to be honest

toy chest / blanket box / large underbed storage on some small wheels; rip 2 panels down the middle for sides & ends leave the other 2 as bases, add wheels voila! - 20 minutes work / if you have understairs storage you could make a pullout shelving unit that goes behind the door akin to this:

http://www.creativewoodwork.co.uk/uncategorized/fitted-under-stairs-storage-london/ - but freestanding

Like this one I knocked up from exactly the same stuff

http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae308/Rafezetter/PICT0006_zps60b58ffd.jpg

- it's inside the understairs cupboard where the electric panel is, and the back of the top is cut to shape the stair slope (and you've just reminded me I must put a back on it!). It's on rubber casters and made a dead space much more useable. You could make it for a side stairs cupboard storage so that you open the door and it fills the space immediately behind the door that is usually left open for access to the rest of the area. Keep it 2ft wide and as tall as you can.

rafezetter":2str6m3i said:
toy chest / blanket box / large underbed storage on some small wheels; rip 2 panels down the middle for sides & ends leave the other 2 as bases, add wheels voila! - 20 minutes work / if you have understairs storage you could make a pullout shelving unit that goes behind the door akin to this:

http://www.creativewoodwork.co.uk/uncategorized/fitted-under-stairs-storage-london/ - but freestanding

Like this one I knocked up from exactly the same stuff

http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae308/Rafezetter/PICT0006_zps60b58ffd.jpg

- it's inside the understairs cupboard where the electric panel is, and the back of the top is cut to shape the stair slope (and you've just reminded me I must put a back on it!). It's on rubber casters and made a dead space much more useable. You could make it for a side stairs cupboard storage so that you open the door and it fills the space immediately behind the door that is usually left open for access to the rest of the area. Keep it 2ft wide and as tall as you can.

This is more like it! Awesome idea about the stairs but I have a full cupboard under my stairs, has a full sized door on it.
Like the underbed and toy box ideas - not something you automatically think of when you look at chipboard lol

tool-me-up":1xvr54y7 said:
This is more like it! Awesome idea about the stairs but I have a full cupboard under my stairs, has a full sized door on it.
Like the underbed and toy box ideas - not something you automatically think of when you look at chipboard lol

Sadly for me it's the other way around, I see items and idea's come unbidden, my problem is lack of facilities and experience to bring them to fruition.

Like all those (possibly) sycamore 20ft boards just sitting there in Maidstone... it haunts me...

Back