ID this hardwood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBcarpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all just wondering if anyone can ID this piece of hardwood ? was getting used as a packing piece on a pallet to support a piece of machinery on a job I was working on and thought I'd make something with it at some point just wondered what species it was. It was rough sawn when I got it so surfaced 2 faces just to see the grain pattern.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 227
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 227
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 227
We occasionally get some lovely looking timbers in far eastern pallets at work, just a pain to break down though as they can be a little brittle. I don't think SWMBO would smile if I took any more home, in addition to the current stack of 20 that are waiting to be dismantled :oops:

monkeybiter":ndcbf45u said:
We occasionally get some lovely looking timbers in far eastern pallets at work, just a pain to break down though as they can be a little brittle. I don't think SWMBO would smile if I took any more home, in addition to the current stack of 20 that are waiting to be dismantled :oops:

Lol SWMBO always has something not to smile about might as well have some nice free timber lol. This wasn't part of the pallet but had been fixed on top to support part of a machine that was not sitting on the pallet look a nice piece of timer so I snaffled it before it went into the skip :D always nice to pick up a freebie

Its probably a species not comnercially avaliable in th UK. If the machine came from abroad then the timber could originate from Africa, Indonesia maybe South America.

Certainly some bearers do seem to be made of decent timber, some are soft, but others are really hard. We certainly get some that are iroko and something similar to Luarn.

RobinBHM":12eq45es said:
Its probably a species not comnercially avaliable in th UK. If the machine came from abroad then the timber could originate from Africa, Indonesia maybe South America.

Certainly some bearers do seem to be made of decent timber, some are soft, but others are really hard. We certainly get some that are iroko and something similar to Luarn.

Not sure where the machine came from was just deliverered to a site I was working on and I lent a hand to the guys installing it to get it into position and took this as payment lol

MBcarpentry":3efjurv2 said:
niagra":3efjurv2 said:

Could be mate just googled it and it looks similar to the images
Idigbo is a good shout. Second picture definitely looks like Idigbo, the only thing which is hard to tell from the photo is Idigbo is a very yellow/green colour and I cant really get that from the photos.

CHJ":10gzmym3 said:
Idigbo, used to get some that I thought was idigbo on machine pallet bracing from Spain, Portugal, some with rough sawn and bark stripped faces.
But often stuff that looked the same but was hard to work, very tangled fibres.

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/ ... idigbo.htm

Certainly looks like a lot of those examples i'l go with idigbo :D thanks for all then put guys

I had a German washing machine delivered that had packing strips very much like that, I was told it was Robinia.

It does also look like Robinia, apparently Robinia fluoresces under uv light so may be able to try that to see one way or an other. Seems very hard to nail down exactly what you have as there are so many similar looking hardwoods.

Latest posts

Back