Ich bin ein Holzarbeiter (German tool logo's)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_P

Established Member
Reaction score
If you ever find yourself staring at German logo then try this site.

http://www.holzwerken.de/museum/herstel ... tsch.phtml

I can't resist a cheap job lot, these have just arrived along with an English Stanley.

German chisels 01.jpg

Top three have Ulmia handles, very top Ulmia J other 2 are Ulmia 6 ges.gesschutz

Very top steel , 10mm mortice, Marke FWD stag image, Hirsch. Other 2 unreadable.

4th down handle = Panzer Heft D.R.P.
steel = Jacob Busch , 18mm , bow saw logo

5th = unclear

Bottom two (6&7), both have Matador red stickers on the handles which from the above site is Joh. Peter Arns
Remscheid

No.6 has the same logo as no.4 but this time in a heart with no firm name.

No.7 unusual 30mm bevel edged, think it says DOERING, back says DRP.

These two came in the same lot but are unmarked, could they be German ?

possibly german 02.jpg

Is/was it usual for German woodworkers to buy the handles and steel separately ?

Attachments

• German chisels 01.jpg
    German chisels 01.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 2,140
  • possibly german 02.jpg
    possibly german 02.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 2,141
Wolfgang Jordan posts on here occasionally. With any luck he will spot a little spike in traffic from here to his ever useful site and be along with the answer!

What an odd chisel, does anyone have an inkling as to what it could be for? Surely no on is trying to lighten a chisel by creating a fuller, perhaps it was used bevel down along some sort of ridge?

Apologies for bumping one of my old threads but maybe some new members might have answers.

Thanks,
Carl

Sorry Mr P, I should have read your original post properly, not reposted a link to the same site!

You do have some odd chisels there.
I agree that they don't look English but can't help beyond that.

Sorry, Carl, for not replying last year. I read your questions, but forgot about them.

The octagonal handles have been introduced by Georg Ott/Ulmia around 1930. I have not yet found a patent specification, but a nice picture and description in their 1937 catalog. "ges. geschützt" means "protected by law".

I have seen the "bow saw in a heart" logo before. The bow saw is the logo of Jacob Busch. He may have produced chisels and plane blades for Wilhelm Braun, which would explain the heart:
http://www.holzwerken.de/museum/hersteller/braun.phtml

The chisel with the groove was made by Ernst Doering:
http://www.holzwerken.de/museum/hersteller/doering_ernst.phtml
The patent no. 812373 issued in 1948 shows various arrangements of grooves in chisel backs. The patent claims that the grooves make the chisels lighter and easier to sharpen while their strength is preserved.

Wolfgang

Attachments

• ulmia_werkzeugheft_310.jpg
    ulmia_werkzeugheft_310.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 1,227
  • patent_812373.jpg
    patent_812373.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 1,227
Many thanks Wolfgang,

I find it realy strange that the steel and handles are made by different firms, was that standard practice back then ?

Thanks again,
Carl

I have no idea, Carl. But there have been many firms specializing in wooden parts of all kinds, for example handles for files and chisels. So it may have been standard practice.

Wolfgang

Latest posts

Back