I would like a new workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Spent three hours last evening with some blank paper attempting to design a new floor plan for a tidy workshop. Thought I might even throw out an invitation to someone here to have a free holiday with full board here in Paignton!!!!!!!!!! who could lift things into place and put a wooden extension on the back of my garage, and make and take home two tissue boxes.

No good.

I have a double garage 5mtrs. x 5 mtrs. and it is just not big enough, all that happens is that things get changed around and it would not work as good as now. What I really want is a tidy one like you have got, but I have too much junk, never thrown a tool out in 57 years, thats the trouble I think. plus all those house maintenance things like ladders and steps and plumbing, and electrics. etc.etc.

Some thoughts, I think dust extractors for table and bandsaws and router tables take up space and I find are a waste of space, there is more sawdust going to the workroom than receptacles. Is that the same for you?
I think a good blower would keep the place cleaner.

So someone here please inspire me.

Ha Ha tidy like yours :lol: Better be more specific John personally I work on the first available edge and when I think of organizing the mess I have a panic attack :oops:

I would kill for a 5 x5 metre space. I get everything done in a 12ft x 8ft shed. I do tend to make smaller stuff though and any sheet cutting is done on the patio.

Perhaps you should turn your attention to organization projects when the next batch of TB's are finished John, check out Adzemans tool cubby for instance.

My workshops have varied from 10 square metres to 85 square metres. There's never been enough space in any of them.

I guess it's not really about space; it's about taking on appropriate projects for the space you've got, recognising that some projects and some branches of woodwork are simply beyond your square metre capacity, not buying new toys just because you can...or if you do sticking to a "one in, one out" policy, planning the workflow, tidying up, finishing one project before starting another.

In fact all the things I keep telling myself but never actually do!

Inspire - probably not, commiserate - definitely. :)

My garage (which the car never gets near of course, let alone inside) is 9m x 3m, and I work in one end that is partitioned off. I used to have 4m but moved the partition so that I now have about 5.5m x3m. But I don't have any more room in the workshop, because all that happens is that stuff migrates into the workshop and fills it up. Some of it used to be on the other side of the partition, but there isn't room for it now. Two steps forward, one step back.

I think the problem is that there is some sort of unwritten rule that says no matter what the size of your workshop, you will fill it up. If you make it bigger, you will fill that extra space up too. The bigger it is of course, the more there is to keep tidy, and heat, and light....

As for extractors, I wouldn't be without mine. I wish I'd had it when I was using my router table more, because now I'm having problems with the router due to dust having got inside it. I still get some sawdust from the machines, but when I empty the extractor, it makes me realise how much it has collected, rather than how much it has missed. And of course anything it collects is better in it, rather than me breathing it in.

I do try to persuade the "domestic director" that my organised chaos in the workshop works well for me. She doesn't believe me. But I always know where everything is. The only time I can't find something, is when I've had a tidy up, and moved things about to make everything look better.

I have a lot of respect for anyone who does have a tidy workshop, and has the iron will and resolve to keep it that way. Personally, I think of it as being like when I pass a garden that looks stunning and is a real credit to the owner. I like to admire it, and sometimes aspire to it, but I know in my heart of hearts, that mine will never really look like that. :)

Steve

custard":3n4tt229 said:
I guess it's not really about space; it's about taking on appropriate projects for the space you've got, recognising that some projects and some branches of woodwork are simply beyond your square metre capacity, not buying new toys just because you can...or if you do sticking to a "one in, one out" policy, planning the workflow, tidying up, finishing one project before starting another.
Absolutely. My 'shop is 20x12' in old money and now fairly choca-block with gear and toys, but it's reasonably well organised and generally pretty tidy. I've deliberately tried to have a section of free space (say 6x9'ish) for the assembly of larger projects if need be. I'd quite like to get hold of a bobbin sander, but I've got nowhere to stick it, so I won't. My view is that without that 'free space' you can be severely limited in what can be achieved - Rob

This is a realy good topic and something that effects us all.
I agree you can never have a big enough workshop but... how do the Japanese craftsmen do it? I mean they have just a few square feet in which to work. I read an idea for a simple trolley in a book by Mr Ingham yesterday which I reckon might be a good way to keep projects ordered. I struggle most with my wood stock, firstly storing it and then remembering what I have got. Plus if you have several projects going at the same time you can really break your next over stuff. I really think that the biggest hindrance of all is sawdust. Or rather collecting it from machines, as whatever extraction system you are using it takes up a lot of space. I also built an additional air purification unit to filter out all the under 0.5 micron particles and another square meter dissappeared.
Perhaps mobile bases under machines would help so that they can be parked when not in use without working up a sweat.
You have to believe that it is possible to reorganise or it is not going to be a very rewarding endeavour. Sometimes setting a single clear goal helps. ' I want to be able to walk around the shop without breaking my neck' for example. Or 'If I had a member of staff would I let him work in this death trap?'

Rob made a good point about have a free area that you always keep clear for the project in hand and if possible clear it at the end of each day (unless it is gluing). I notice when my workshop is tidier my work improves.

I think heaven must be a woodworkshop, where you never run out of space, everything is close to hand but never cluttered, where sawdust evaporates into thin air, where tools are always razor sharp but can't cut your fingers, where machines aren't noisy and there is always a fresh brew waiting...

Gerard Scanlan":dwnzu6h9 said:
. I read an idea for a simple trolley in a book by Mr Ingham yesterday which I reckon might be a good way to keep projects ordered. I struggle most with my wood stock, firstly storing it and then remembering what I have got. Plus if you have several projects going at the same time you can really break your next over stuff. I really think that the biggest hindrance of all is sawdust. Or rather collecting it from machines, as whatever extraction system you are using it takes up a lot of space. I also built an additional air purification unit to filter out all the under 0.5 micron particles and another square meter dissappeared.
Perhaps mobile bases under machines would help so that they can be parked when not in use without working up a sweat.
You have to believe that it is possible to reorganise or it is not going to be a very rewarding endeavour. Sometimes setting a single clear goal helps. ' I want to be able to walk around the shop without breaking my neck' for example.
If you've ever seen RI's 'shop (and I haven't :( ) it's as big as an aircraft hanger and as clean as an operating theatre. I have it on good authority that you have to change your 'outside' shoes for 'shop shoes' at the entrance. Agree also about the dust issue, which ever way we tackle it, it has to be a major factor in workshop organisation...I use a Camvac 386 which slots neatly under a worksurface and takes up a minimal footprint. I also only ever have two jobs on the go at once, more often than not it's just one, but the second can be a smaller thing like a box. Cables is also a pet hate...I hate trailing cables :twisted: , which means that all my machines are fixed in one position and cables are routed round the 'shop walls at ground level - Rob

Hi Rob,

woodbloke":3eifcm16 said:
Cables is also a pet hate...I hate trailing cables :twisted: , which means that all my machines are fixed in one position and cables are routed round the 'shop walls at ground level - Rob

When I "converted" my garage I made two decisions that I am still very pleased with. One was to fit about twenty double metal sockets all around the walls so that I never had to trail cables. The other was to have have a suspended plywood floor with carpet tiles on top.

The carpet tiles are a disgusting orange, but it meant that they were very cheap!!

Thanks,
Neil

PS I've still got way too much "stuff" in my workshop.

First, you have to decide what you want:

Do you want to do woodworking? Gardening? Machinery repair? Machinery/handplane/tool collecting? You can do any one in the space you have. Heck, you can do two, or even three of them. But the more you choose, the more organized you must be.

After you choose, self-discipline is the key. Get rid of the extra stuff. Build a little shed for the outside tools and get them out of the shop. Racks, wall brackets, and ceiling hooks are your friend.

Here's a thought: Invite some good friends over for pizza and beer on a Saturday. Haul all your cr*p out onto the driveway. All of it. If it's not nailed down, move it out. Put up wall brackets and shelves. Don't worry about a floor plan yet--just find wall space for as much as you can. Now move the stuff you really need back in. Give away/sell/trash the rest. Let your friends decide--you just persuade them not to throw something away. It's much easier to throw away other people's junk--as George Carlin said, your sh*t is stuff, their stuff is sh*t. You'll find you have enough space. I'm not saying you keep it that way, but at least you'll start the right way.

Kirk

In my garage/workshop I have 25 double sockets four feet above ground level - I can't reach half of them due to benches and shelves in the way.
The more you fit the better - it costs next to nothing to put too many in. Use the cheapest and it'll cost you a quid if you break one, or pay a lot of money for strong ones - anything in the middle is probably wasted money. If you've enough sockets, you'll be surprised how many things you leave permanently plugged in.

phil.p":6pcqfqus said:
In my garage/workshop I have 25 double sockets four feet above ground level - I can't reach half of them due to benches and shelves in the way.
The more you fit the better - it costs next to nothing to put too many in. Use the cheapest and it'll cost you a quid if you break one, or pay a lot of money for strong ones - anything in the middle is probably wasted money. If you've enough sockets, you'll be surprised how many things you leave permanently plugged in.

Concur on this. I have 20 quad sockets in my shop (5' off the floor), and although none of them are covered, there are some spots where I have something plugged into all four. Heck, at one spot I have three different battery chargers plugged in, plus my grinder. The next set over I have my overarm router, 14" bandsaw, and spindle sander plugged in, leaving me one outlet on an eight foot stretch of wall.

Kirk

kirkpoore1":2ztd3nwp said:
Concur on this. I have 20 quad sockets in my shop
Kirk

About a dozen double sockets along the walls and a couple mounted on the ceiling for 4 double sets of halogen work lights (for taking pics) - Rob

I too have a 5m by 5m workshop. I have a friend who does alot of kitchens so gives me cupboards that are being replaced. I have 5m of these and then below I have 5 metres of units with drawers acting as a workbench and then running along the other wall I have another 5m of worksurface where I have my RAS and router table slotting in to the same level as the worktop. Every tool has a designated space, I find drawers are much better than shelves for putting stuff in. Everthing worked great untill I aquired that monster of a PK saw. So now I'm going to build a 4m extension purely for makeing stuff in, it will house a workbench and thats it. No machines, then I can use the other bit as a machine shop area and the new bit as a construction area. Thats the plan anyway :D A friend of mine had a workshop in his house but couldn't use it because it was so cluttered, I offered to clear his whole workshop. It took me a week to do it but like mentioned earlier it wasn't my clutter so I had no attachment, things like 70 tester pots of paint he said they may come in handy one day, I say go to the tip.
Mark

Isn't it a law as strong as gravity that you always fill the space you have available? Decide which third of your workshop you like, and brick off the other two thirds. You will of course fill the remaining space, but the other two thirds will be empty ( because you emptied it before you built the wall) and now only one third of your workshop is untidy. A tidy bench is a sign of a worker with spare time available.

G

Yebbut :roll: :?

Having the self discipline to get rid of "stuff" must be as hard as giving up smoking or drinking. having not overindulged in either I can only suppose.

I don't have the willpower to refuse all the goodies I regulary am offered for free. Only today I was offered 2 sheds, both 6 x 4 almost new and for nowt apart from dismantle and remove. Did I turn them down - what do you think :? (haven't told the wife yet - need a few brownie points first).

Bob

there definately is a law.
Rogers Law, that states junk accumulates according to the space available for it.
If you are looking to shed a few bits and bobs, dust extractors etc let me know and I'll come down with the motorhome and trailer.

All this talk of electric outlets, however my mind is set that there should be no more than 6 (double socekets?) on a ring main?

Surely the important factor with a ring circuit is the power you are actually using - just keep it below 30 amps. You just want the sockets where they are convenient for you to use - rather than trailing extension sockets.

I had the same problem with the workshop and keeping non-woodworking stuff out of it. So on the end I got a second 'gardening' shed a smaller 8' x 12' that I have extended by about 6' to one end to provide an open fronted wood store. We've also got a double garage for the cars which has shelves and cupboards around it as well as a freezer and a small partitioned workbench area currently storing all sorts of 'useful' stuff. My workshop is about 15' x 24' and at last just has the woodworking stuff in it - more space would be useful!.

Despite having what would appear to be adequate space it all still gets cluttered and all too regularly it needs 'sorting out' - not as easy as it seems as there is always my 'it will come in useful one day' mindset and my in-laws that live in the annex use a lot of the space for their 'useful stuff' that they want to keep 'just in case' (despite having their own 8' x 12' shed).

The thing that has made the most difference is the 'dedicated garden shed' which allows all the other stuff to have its own space - so all you need to do is get another garden shed and all the problems will be solved :)

Misterfish

Back