I turned this from a ash burl that i found

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walnut Les

Established Member
Reaction score
This was one that I just had to try and I'm glad that I did as I learnt a lot by turning it. Your comments (good or bad) are most welcome. Les

Attachments

• Ash burl.JPG
    Ash burl.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 1,587
Looks good Les this type of turning always produces some nice shapes and surprises in the grain pattern.
For me the only thing that looks out of proportion is the depth of the bowl

Walnut Les":kzhc9c54 said:
This was one that I just had to try and I'm glad that I did as I learnt a lot by turning it. Your comments (good or bad) are most welcome. Les

Like keeping your fingers out of the way Les.

well you've got some guts there Les. You wouldn't want that natural edge walloping you would you.

Here's my take:

Design is bold, interesting, unusual - I really like it. I particularly like the lack of symmetry which instantly sets it apart from most turned pieces. Its very difficult to discern the finish from the photo but the inside looks good. My only negative at all is the foot which just looks a little wide for the bowl but its difficult to tell from the photo. The grain and figure are lovely as you'd expect from a burr. You've also managed a continuous curve running down the outside which is good although personally I would have made a stronger radius ie a more pronounced curve but then that's just personal taste.

Well done....nice work.

Many thanks for your comments guys, I will take them on board.
Bob there is no foot on the bowl. I put it on a coaster to dry after oiling it so as to not mark the wife's table, I will post the side view and top view for you to look at. (I'm not that good with the computer so I might have to post them one at a time )

Attachments

• Ash bowl side.JPG
    Ash bowl side.JPG
    233.9 KB · Views: 1,560
  • Ash bowl top.JPG
    Ash bowl top.JPG
    214 KB · Views: 1,560
Righto Les...I must say I wasn't sure just by looking at the snap...that's better. Now I can see the curvature in the side and its better than I thought from the aerial view.

Was it a green wood turning?

Random Orbital Bob":13g62ju9 said:
Was it a green wood turning?

Yes it was Bob, I was given about 8 burls so I part turned them and left them to dry before returning them to the lathe, sanding them and leaving them with a oil finish. I turned two with wings and left one with natural edge.
Les

Overall an interesting piece, I too, like Bob was unsure of the foot at first, but looking closely I am not even sure it is a foot, is it some sort of coaster that the bowl is standing on? It looks slightly off center and of a different material, like a marble or something.
If it is a foot, then I actually like it, it's unusual, and crisp too.

While the wing is an interesting "bit" I am not convinced it actually adds anything, if it were highly figured like the rest of the bowl it might have been better, but it looks rather odd and somewhat plain in comparison. Excellent turning work and nicely finished too.

Absolutely gorgeous.

It's hard to tell from a photo, but it looks like it's really covered in cat's eye effect glimmer, or "chatoyance" for the posh. Lovely work with lovely wood, The asymmetrical look is not my scene, I'd have "cleaned up" the natural area at the top, but only because that's the way I think - it doesn't stop me appreciating another person's taste and accomplishment!

Is it really as holographic and shimmery as it looks from the photo? I'd love to see the others, you've made me re-think my opinion of Ash, I've always only had plain white rough and boring ash to work with whereas this bit is nothing short of beautiful.

Nic.

Back