I tried to help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
A near neighbor of mine is having a new garage built at the side of his bungalow by tradesmen.
The building has reached the stage of attaching barge boards to the front gable and I noticed that the boards they were attempting to fit were to thick. The almost protruded beyond the roofing tiles. So I crossed the road and said to the builder I would put the two boards through my P/T and reduce the thickness down from the present 30mm. He thanked me for the offer and his labourer brought the two boards over to my workshop requesting 12mm reduction.
The first two or three passes through the thicknesser sounded sweet and was reducing around 1mm each pass but the fourth pass started to fail, the board started sticking and I needed to pull the board out.

On examination the board was what appeared to be green, damp and also wood tension was appearing distorted board.
The wood had been tanalised wo it might have been the chemicals that was tacky. So we had to abandon the task.
The builder said he would go and buy some thinner boards , and the outcome is that I was given the two original boards around 8ft each of 7x2 stuff.
So it looks like I finished up the winner, (the boards will be used to hold back some loose gravel in one of my flower beds.

You are a brave man Devon. I'd not put anything resembling green timber through my P/T. If its all gunked up, and takes a long time to clean it, and in addition its dulling the blades it would be a very "expensive" free piece of timber you gained!

Adam

The original appearance of the boards looked OK as if they were ready for priming, it just goes to show what stuff builders merchants stock these days. Or was it the tanalising?

hi devon
you will probably find that youve removed most of the tanalise treatment as this seems to only be in the first couple of mm"s .
made an enquirey about tanalised timber a couple of months ago , apparantly if you cut it to length you void the 30yr "no rot" guarantee
cant remember the last time i used tanalised and didnt have to cut it
if you need to finish off planing the timber you could try a small amout of silicon spray on the thicknesser bed , this works a treat
regards
mel

mel and john":31gn5e51 said:
made an enquirey about tanalised timber a couple of months ago, apparently if you cut it to length you void the 30yr "no rot" guarantee
Isn't that why they sell end sealant for the stuff? There are a few merchants, like George Hill in Oldham for example, who will "post-tanalise" after you've cut to size, but whilst this works stuff like mortices and tennons tend to swell a bit :roll: It's all a bit silly, really, dragging timber all over the countryside....

mel and john":31gn5e51 said:
If you need to finish off planing the timber you could try a small amout of silicon spray on the thicknesser bed , this works a treat
But then it can banjax your finishing - a lot of finishes (acrtlics, polyurethanes, etc) can "fisheye" on the surface if they come in contact with silicone. Ever tried PTFE spray instead? It doesn't seem to have that effect. I suppose this is why a lot of industrial thicknessers have rollers in the beds

Scrit

Back