I Think I'm On The Slippery Slope

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spindle

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I saw rather a nice Sorby paring? chisel at the boot sale today so bought it along with three double ended triangular files, (one Oberg and two Nichols), and a set of dividers by Monument. A quick bit of research on here and I found a couple of links to websites regarding older Sorby tools, unfortunately both links were no longer working. Can anyone suggest a site where I can research old Sorby tools and in particular find out more about this chisel.

View attachment 5

Regards Mick

Attachments

• 05,05,13 - £8.JPG
    05,05,13 - £8.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,428
I always fancy going to thainstones for a few bargains but never get round to it, by the way where in aberdeenshire do you recommend for hardwood box making timber ?

Hi Trigs

I used to use Barmossie, (BWS), almost exclusively, when Ron owned it. Went back a few years ago and it was all closed up - I knew it had changed hands, met the new owners once or twice, but it looked to all intents that it was no longer trading. There was a post on here yesterday that seemed to hint otherwise so will call in next time I'm passing.

Regards Mick

Highjacking my own thread here !!

I see Scottish Hardwoods at Gamrie has a current web site - does anyone know if it's trading again?

Mick

Hi

Thanks DM / Andy - some interesting reading there, not sure why my search didn't pull up those threads.

And as for Pete shamelessly showing off his collection in DM's thread - well that's me hooked thanks very much =P~

Regards Mick

Kangaroo brand was the trade mark of Robert Sorby, the longest lived of the various Sorby incarnations, and still going strong today (though the Kangaroo has been dropped).

From the handle shape, and the sticker on the handle, I'd guess that's a 1950s to 1960s chisel. I've got a couple of Sheffield chisels with stickers (or remains of) on the handles, and they're good 'uns. The later ones had a more modern-looking sticker on the handle, but no stamp imprinted on the metal - I suspect those are 1970s-ish or later. I've got a couple of those, too - still good 'uns.

Don't quote me, though. I'm no expert.

Back