I planed some wood, is this normal?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnimble

Established Member
Reaction score
I hand planed a piece of wood I'm going to use for some hadles. Its maxican rose wood or bocote cordia gerascanthus.

The plane iron (of a stanley no 5) is sharpened with the DC tripple bevel method and angles as described on his excelent DVD and has been given a back bevel of 15 degrees.

bocote_planed_bb_15deg_01.jpg

bocote_planed_bb_15deg_02.jpg

The shavings come off in very tight rolls that are a bit like thin metal springs. It seems not possible to take full length shavings. They are very thin, (they feel very solid though) but not as whisper thin I'm able to take off when planing oak, beech pine etc. The finish left on the wood is phenomenal though. At the right angle objects reflect in it.

if the finish is good then I guess you are ok, but there are folks here more learned than me, so hang around for more feedback - it'll come!!

The grain looks wicked mate, might try some of that myself.

I've only had some experience with some Brazilian Rosewood. Its oily and fairly tame to plane. Like planing butter. It looks like your shavings are a bit thick. I think I was able to get thin shavings but I can't remember. Have you tried backing off on the cutting depth?

I get that with Brazilian Yellow Balau. Are the shaving 'gritty'?

JesseM":244epi0u said:
I've only had some experience with some Brazilian Rosewood. Its oily and fairly tame to plane. Like planing butter.
This is not oily (besides the parafine wax to prevent checking)

It looks like your shavings are a bit thick. I think I was able to get thin shavings but I can't remember. Have you tried backing off on the cutting depth?
Normally the shavings this plane is able to make is 0.005" at least the caliper does not read smaller. Bavking off the butting depth results in only planing dust.

waterhead37":244epi0u said:
Did you try planing it without a back bevel?
Yes abit of tear out.

WiZeR":244epi0u said:
I get that with Brazilian Yellow Balau. Are the shaving 'gritty'?
A bit and smells a bit like tobacco.

Latest posts

Back