I need some help please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lightweeder

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Record Power grinder with 8" white and 8" grey wheels. I've got it set up for a Woodcut Tru-Grind sharpening system, which means I have to remove the rest on the white wheel side, so when I just need a quick pass, I confess I use the grey wheel. I've just set the jig up to sharpen a few things on the white wheel and given it a (rare :oops: :oops: ) clean up with a diamond stone and it's now jumping all over the place. The wheel's running as true as anything, just the surface. It's no longer 'square' but the more I try to rectify it the worse it's getting. It was fine while it was dirty. What can I do please?

Seems like the wheel is now not quite truely round,which is difficult to get round when doing it freehand as the wheel cleaner will just bounce on the high spot.You will need something like the Tormek that is held in a jig and runs parellel with the wheel.
But there have been a few stories re- the Record 8" grinders with bad vibration from new :?:

Lightweeder":empyursr said:
I have a Record Power grinder with 8" white and 8" grey wheels. I've got it set up for a Woodcut Tru-Grind sharpening system, which means I have to remove the rest on the white wheel side, so when I just need a quick pass, I confess I use the grey wheel. I've just set the jig up to sharpen a few things on the white wheel and given it a (rare :oops: :oops: ) clean up with a diamond stone and it's now jumping all over the place. The wheel's running as true as anything, just the surface. It's no longer 'square' but the more I try to rectify it the worse it's getting. It was fine while it was dirty. What can I do please?

Did you clean it with the diamond stone held in the trugrind jig or by hand?

I just had a quick look at the Trugrind Instructions and it doesn't mentioned how to set it up for using the diamond so perhaps you don't know about it...

if you remove the screw at the lower end of the leg of the tool holder you can open out the 2 legs so that you can place one in each of the cups in the base. The holder can now be rocked from side to side.
If you mount the diamond dresser in the tool holder and slowly move the base forward until the diamond just touches the centre of the wheel you should be able to swing the holder gently across the wheel. You might need to move the base holder forwards a few times to clean the whole wheel. This gives a wheel that is slightly domed towards the centre but I've never had a problem with that.

Hope that helps

Duncan

Back