I need a load bearing wall in my workshop?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
The workshop roof (double garage) is lined with Everite AC corugated sheets and a leak has developed on one of the corrugations. (asbestos flaking off on outside)

My workshop is around 5.3mtrs each side and there are three 10 x2 timber cross bearers in place plus ends.

I learnt some years ago 5.3+ lenghts of timber are not standard.

So thinking could I create a loadbearing timber wall (like timber frame houses) through centre of workshop (open frames) to carry 8ft bearers.

No building experience myself.

Whats your advice please?

5.3 meter span should be doable in wood. My workshop is that wide with wooden beams so will have a measure of the sections used.

devonwoody":ieebyl4r said:
This is my problem, sizes upto 4.8 mtrs. Told 5mtr lengths are delivery problems and regulations etc.

http://www.jewson.co.uk/timber/carcassi ... 7-x-250mm/

Hi John, it says at the bottom of the blurb on hthat page that 6m lengths are also available and to ask at your branch ?

In any event, if there is only one leak from an area of the roofing is it not treatable with replacement of the roofing sheet or use of thomson waterseal or bitumen paint or similar ?

Cheers, Paul

Another option for repair is Denso tape. Mucky as a mucky thing but works brilliantly.

Sorry I'm being dim..

Is the roof leaking because the structure is sagging and you want to replace or beef up the structure?

As this is garage rather than habitable space I assume no building regs would be involved (?) and if so I would either engineer a wood beam from 3m lengths if 6m isn't available or do some posts of some sort.

Can you put up some pictures of the structure so we can all chip in?

I put on some sealers over the weekend and now praying for rain :roll:

Its a whole 8ft sheet that is starting to flake all over, and I estimate that the roof is 53 years old so more to follow.

I expect to retire from the workshop anytime and I estimate a new roof to cost thousands. But a DIY job with friends might be doable.

Put some pics up shortly.

So what about a centre load bearing timber structure?

A good stud wall with OSB sides would easily take the loads involved if you want a centre support. You are then only bridging 2.65 m so very easy roof support with even small sections. Had a look at my workshop which spans 5.2 m and they used 9x3" at around 2-2.5 m spacing. It sags a bit so 10x3 and closer centres would be ideal but it's stood for 35 years. If you struggle to get the sections you want from a timber merchant try a local saw mill and they can probably cut what you want.

If the roof is compromised, then repair or replace.

If you need load-bearing, then 2 brick columns and a RSJ would be my choice.

if its only the roof cover that is flaking and the wood frame is still sound you could just cover the whole lot in galvanized sheeting save you the expense of removing the asbestos.

rdesign":3mfwq04a said:
if its only the roof cover that is flaking and the wood frame is still sound you could just cover the whole lot in galvanized sheeting save you the expense of removing the asbestos.

Do you not then face the problem of fixing to the existing asbestos and the problems it incurs?

Pleased to report the leak was cured, had rain this morning.

Found a source for 6mtr lengths of 8x2 at £24 inc.vat each.

Still getting quotes for a new roof but pricing up the material cost as well.

If you are looking to reroof and not too worried about an industrial look try Cladco. Their box profile sheeting is good value and quality. It's so easy to instal. Striped and reproofed my 8mx5.5m workshop in a day on my own.

Beau":3iv2achr said:
If you are looking to reroof and not too worried about an industrial look try Cladco. Their box profile sheeting is good value and quality. It's so easy to instal. Striped and reproofed my 8mx5.5m workshop in a day on my own.

Thanks Beau. telephoned them and got a supply only price of under £500 incl vat but they would not give me any fitter recommendation.

http://www.cladco.co.uk/

What centres did you have for cross supports ? (my roof would run front to back) and outside measurements would most probably be 5.5mtrs.

The appearaace looks better than my excisting Asbestos corro.

Think ideally the sheets need supporting every 1200mm. Should be on their site somewhere as they used to have a good technical page for installation. When pricing up allow for sealant, fixings, eaves fillers and end cappings as sadly it all adds up.

Thanks all for advice and links.

I got a quote yesterday to remove and take away asbestos roof for double garage in Devon of £680 +vat

Back