I hate painting . . . . but

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to take so long to get back to this subject but there was a lot to read and absorb and we've been busy getting ready for a short trip back to the UK.

I'd like to thank everyone for their valuable contributions to this subject. It has been very helpful to me and I hope others have also benefited from this thread.

I hadn't thought about until now but, yes, I probably would be painting vehicles one at a time and AES was perfectly correct in that the time taken to setup and cleanup will be substantially longer than the actual spraying bit. I hadn't fully thought that through but it does make a lot of sense, under those conditions, to find an alternative. I.e. improving me brush skills or aerosol spraying.

@AES. Many thanks for the invitation to pop down to see you in me 'bazmobile'. I think we could sort something out there (maybe April ish) as it would be good to chat about things over a coffee.

I think I'll gonna sack the idea of the airbrush route as I'm not very keen on cleaning out brushes, never mind striping down expensive equipment for a 2 or 3 minute paint job. I'll investigate aerosols (thanks for the very detailed instructions Andy).

Barry

From my side Barry, no problem, glad to be of some help (it's not so often that I get to post anything other than Qs on here)!

Yeah, try the aerosol route, you'll find "my" method works very well (and once again, it's not really "my" method, but a combination of stuff I collected up from other more experienced people over the years).

Have a good trip, and yeah, when you get back I'll be pleased if we can sort something out for a visit to "that high-cost inseln mitte ins Europ"!!!!

AES

Now THAT'S a VERY good idea. Why didn't I think of that????

You're quite right, shaking the tin for 2 mins really does make your arm ache!

AES

Blimey martinka, I've now looked at the aerosol can shaker link you posted.

I always knew/learnt that getting the paint, thinner, and propellant all properly mixed while still in the tin is absolutely fundamental to success with aerosols, but until I looked at your link I never even thought about a mechanised device, and certainly had no idea that there are so many ideas out there.

Thanks for posting that. I don't use aerosols all that much, but just as you say, 2 mins worth of shaking don't 'arf make the wrist, arm, and shoulders hurt, so making one of those devices is now high on my roundtoit list.

Have you made one, if so, which?

AES

AES":24pjgh5q said:
Have you made one, if so, which?

AES

I use the lathe, as I mention above. I pop the can in the 3 jaw chuck at a slight angle and let the lathe run for a few minutes. I'll probably make one of the ones on youtube though, just because I like making stuff. :)

What I really need is a reminder to invert and spray the can to clean it after use. I'm forever having to throw away blocked cans.

Ah. I don't have a lathe so I need to be inventive. Maybe strapped to the wheel when I pop into town to restock me beer cellar? Seriously though, I'll check out one of the YouTube videos.

I like this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4mdofZDCO8
Easy to make and everyone has a drill, don't they? Someone suggested making it so the can is on its side, but I suppose you could make it so that it can be turned and find the best position. Because it runs slow, it can be made without bearings, but I need some small bearings for another job, so I 'll buy a pack of skateboard bearings and make one that I can clamp to the lathe bed and drive with the chuck. Need to send for another pack of roundtuits as well.

Thanks martinka. When you order your new pack of roundtoits, could you get a pack for me too please :D

AES

P.S. Yup, inverting the can after use is v important for ensuring the valve (inside the can) is not blocked up next time you come to use it. You can run it under the hot tap (NOT in the bathroom!) and proggle around into the valve with a pin, which works (sometimes) but it IS a messy job.

NOT if you (immediately after finishing spraying):

1. Invert the can and spray (onto paper or something) until no more colour comes out;

2. Store the can inverted with the safety cap on (without the spray button, which goes separately into a closed jar with thinners, water, or whatever suits the type of paint).

Try it, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

AES

Back