I hate Bambi

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickm

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Trying frantically to fence off the remains of my apple trees after a visitation by the local roe deer population. Anyone know any (even short term) way to discourage the little b**....... blighters until I can get the fencing finished? Unfortunately, given the proximity of neighbours and general lie of the land, Smith and Wesson or Browning products aren't feasible :(

I recently watched a guy on YouTube who used his own urine to prevent deer from eating his vegetables, it was a complete success. He simply poured the urine along the boundary and the deer stayed away.

Might be worth a try.

Brendan

I heard that if you walk backwards, naked, in a circle at midnight for half an hour under a full moon and say 'Deer, deer, there, there' that usually works.

RogerS":1d2vsq1d said:
I heard that if you walk backwards, naked, in a circle at midnight for half an hour under a full moon and say 'Deer, deer, there, there' that usually works.

Hmmm... I hadn't heard that one before: is that one big circle that takes half an hour to walk, or lots of little circles for half an hour? Do you start half an hour before midnight, quarter to, or on the stroke?:lol:

And, should you be able to see the moon? Does it matter if the sky is overcast?

You seem to raise more questions than you answer, Roger, but if you like, you can come and give a talk to my coven and explain yourself!

Jim

I have herd of the urine ploy. You could of course stand there ,wait for the deer to arrive, then pee in front of them, that should do the trick.

Grinding One":30uok59f said:
I would think some kind of predator urine would work(Big Cat,Bear) Go to zoo ans see if available?

:D :D I can just picture it. Wandering up to the Head Keeper and asking for a jar of Tiger P**s :D

Oh look, the tree is almost gone,guess you don`t need that fence anymore....
I guess you guys still can not shoot the king`s deer Huh??
I would just sneak up on it taking a bite out of the tree and shoot it with a bow and arrow....Make venison steaks out of it.You fed it you should be able to eat it....Thats an Idea,pellet or bb gun ,shoot it in the rump ,scare it away.....
Nah you would have to wait all night,go get the lion poop...its fertilizer too.

Most of the trees now fenced off! Only broke one sledgehammer handle in the process. Was told that peeing in the runs would keep moles at bay, but it didn't work in our last house :( , so not convinced it would work for deer. Might try the lion dung one, but how would Scottish deer know that it wasn't just from a local pussy cat cat?????

I`ve heard tiger poo is good for this type of problem.

I`ve written to Mr Woods a couple of times, but have not yet had a reply. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Coat, hat......................................

scottish deer!! why didnt you say. get a motion sensor and hook it up to a tape recording of some cracking bag pipe tunes ,why do you think the bagpipes were invented. failing that get yourself a big dog.

dickm":2ap7kijp said:
Most of the trees now fenced off! Only broke one sledgehammer handle in the process. Was told that peeing in the runs would keep moles at bay, but it didn't work in our last house :( , so not convinced it would work for deer. Might try the lion dung one, but how would Scottish deer know that it wasn't just from a local pussy cat cat?????

just how big are the cats in your neck of the woods?!!!!

OK here`s the old family recipe :Small bars of used soap,or soap flakes hung from trees in stockings,the human smell tends to keep them away,or small bags of blood meal will do the same.

Or Mix together 3 tablespoons of finely ground kelp with 1 cup of smelly fish emulsion and throw in 3 tablespoons of Ivory Liquid Soap add enough water to make it easy to spray.Spray directly on plants or trees.

Got problems with Deer and Rabbits?? Then use this one:1 Tablespoon of dried blood (Garden Supply House),4 cloves of powered garlic,2 gallons of cool tap water....Place the water in the bucket and add the dried blood,powered garlic ,mix well .....Place in sprayer and use sparingly,since this formula is high in nitrogen and may burn plants.Deer and Rabbits will go elsewhere to eat.

Grinding One":15b4429s said:
Oh look, the tree is almost gone,guess you don`t need that fence anymore....
I guess you guys still can not shoot the king`s deer Huh??
I would just sneak up on it taking a bite out of the tree and shoot it with a bow and arrow....Make venison steaks out of it.You fed it you should be able to eat it....Thats an Idea,pellet or bb gun ,shoot it in the rump ,scare it away.....
Nah you would have to wait all night,go get the lion poop...its fertilizer too.

I have a feeling bow hunting is illegal in this country. And as for the urine trick I think you guys have got it slightly wrong, you hide up the tree and when they come for a mouthful of your juicy apples you wee on their heads.
Still, I have had a fox using my garden as a toilet recently, so I have to admit I found myself looking at airguns/bb guns on the internet (my airguns and bows are 'in storage' with a mate up North somewhere)...

Grinding One":164deg5m said:
OK here`s the old family recipe :Small bars of used soap,or soap flakes hung from trees in stockings,the human smell tends to keep them away,or small bags of blood meal will do the same.

Or Mix together 3 tablespoons of finely ground kelp with 1 cup of smelly fish emulsion and throw in 3 tablespoons of Ivory Liquid Soap add enough water to make it easy to spray.Spray directly on plants or trees.

Got problems with Deer and Rabbits?? Then use this one:1 Tablespoon of dried blood (Garden Supply House),4 cloves of powered garlic,2 gallons of cool tap water....Place the water in the bucket and add the dried blood,powered garlic ,mix well .....Place in sprayer and use sparingly,since this formula is high in nitrogen and may burn plants.Deer and Rabbits will go elsewhere to eat.

Thanks for those, G1. I'll try the lot! Could also possibly go over to Peterhead and get enough fish guts to stink out the whole neighbourhood :)

Back