I fancy buying a Sliding Compound Mitre Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldman

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at 2 and could do with some advice on which would be the better buy.
I realise I am bottom end of the market yet again but my use will be occasional so trying to keep the costs down.

Rexon SM2150AE 216mm Sliding Compound Mitre Saw £116 screwfix

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/27291/Pow ... -Mitre-Saw

I liked the idea that Rexon have a spares setup in the UK.

Woodstar SL10D Sliding Mitre Saw 240v

http://www.powertooldirect.co.uk/woodst ... 90591.html

This name is I think a trading name of Scheppach but I dont see a UK spares setup online

Oldman":3e24n2d6 said:
I have been looking at 2 and could do with some advice on which would be the better buy.
I realise I am bottom end of the market yet again but my use will be occasional so trying to keep the costs down.

Rexon SM2150AE 216mm Sliding Compound Mitre Saw £116 screwfix

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/27291/Pow ... -Mitre-Saw

I liked the idea that Rexon have a spares setup in the UK.

Woodstar SL10D Sliding Mitre Saw 240v

http://www.powertooldirect.co.uk/woodst ... 90591.html

This name is I think a trading name of Scheppach but I dont see a UK spares setup online

we've got one of these at work , which is the dogs

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axmi ... 796854.htm (£130)

tho that said if you have a bit more money this might be better

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axmi ... -32404.htm

as the former although very good and acurate can be a bit loud.

whatever make you choose make sure get one with two or four rails , the cheap ones with a single rail just arent accurate.

I got all excited then for a minute, £129 was an ok price, checked and out of stock until mid-end July.
Even rang my local store and they didnt have an odd one in stock either.

Bum.....

I cant comment on either of the saws you've mentioned but i recently got a 12" belt driven rexon i believe its a MS12A, It took a while to get it setup but its been excellent so far, Nice clean cut with the stock blade and really quiet, The only problem ive had was the sheer space needed for it, but its great not having to get the sled out everytime i want to crosscut something

Hello,
I've had a Rexon for about 18 months and I'm certain there are better saws about but I've got no complaints other than the lazer stopped working after a week. They supplied me with the bits straightaway but I've not got round to fitting them. For the money, you can't go wrong.
Hope this helps,
Jim

At work, we've got the 600 quid or so dewalt, and maybe it's slightly altered over use, but it's really not that old. 2years max. the accuracy isn't up to scratch in my opinion.

Hi. Try elliots tools on the tinterweb. They have the small metabo kgs model. Cracking little saw,Realy cheap too.

Thanks for all the suggestions, going to show my ignorance now, you have pre-set mitre angles with these saws, but can you easily set any other angle other than the set ones so if say I wanted 42 deg I can just adjust using the scale pointer.
I really should get out more! I could have gone to b&q and tried one myself to find this out :oops:

There are different ways for different saws.Some use a "lever lock" others a "screw down lock" these are the most common but there may be others.

Even with the top end machines, to get odd angles like that, you really can't rely on the dial. You need to set it, then test it on scrap and make minor adjustments. Even the positive stops will need checking often for good accurate joinery. DAMHIKT

It seems to be that, the bigger they are then, the more apparent the inaccuracies in the cut, particularly at full stretch. That's what I find with my 12" Bosch GCM 12 SD. Plenty of power and all but, I'm thinking of down-grading to a smaller 10" model, which could give better results for repeatability.

I have the macallister one (currently £120), which does the job quite well.

i had to adjust almost everything to get it to cut straight after taking it out the box, but once i did, it was excellent.

I had a look at the Macallister one, was tempted as it had +- 45deg on it, but knowing what B&Q are likely to be for spares on these I went for the Rexon SM2150AE 216mm from my first post.

All feels nice and tight, not found the stop for plunge cutting yet if it has one, but the motor is a screamer thats for sure.
Its 2 speed and the lower speed is about the noise my circular saw makes but the high speed is ear defender time thats for sure. It also has what I would describe as gearbox slack (backlash), you can hear something in the drive train playing catchup all the time. I may ask for a replacement yet, give it a few days work first.

Gower, is yours like this?

The 60 Tooth blade gives a real nice cut and the slide is nice and smooth, not set it up for exact angles yet, suppose I better go read the booklet now :wink:
Oh and the laser is useless in daylight and gets covered in sawdust as soon as you cut anyway.

I phoned Rexon today and had a chat with a guy in tech suport, interesting, he was saying that they make kit for lots of other trade names and supply B&Q, Wickes and make Erbauer too.
He steered me away from the one I bought and suggested the Erbauer ERB2501SE as a much better saw and said it has a Bosch motor assembly which is bomb proof.

So I returned the faulty Rexon to Screwfix and picked up the 2501SE instead for an extra £11.

Already it feels a better buy, all the castings feel chunkier, it weighs 19.8Kilo where the other was 12Kilo. 2000watt against 1300watt on the other one. The blade is 255mm against 216mm and the max cut is 92x305 against 62x305. The only downside so far is the blade is 40T against 60T on the Rexon, I thought the 60T blade may be able to give nicer cuts.
Oh and the Erbauer has extending arms and stops which the Rexon didnt have.
I did a couple of trial cuts and the motor on this new one is no noisier at 2000watts 4800rpm than the Rexon was at low speed 1300watt 3000rpm, and a heck of a lot quieter than the Rexon was at top speed.
Sounds to me about the same noise level as my Evolution Fury 185mm Circular Saw so I am happy with that, though of course it would be nice to be quieter, cant have it all for that sort of money though ;-)

Back