I am retired broadcast engineer now doing diy carpentry, electrical etc general hobbies. I have lots of good quality test equiments, tools etc.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinesh mehta

Reaction score
I am for help or suggestion on gof 1300ace bosch router. Which went bang and stopped working. Investigated brushes were hard blown by comutator. No burning smell have new brushes. Can there be any fault caused it.
Suggestions.

Welcome to the group - Initial checks for me ( not an electrician) would be the 3 pin plug for correct polarity, and all connections are. good and tidy. Next would be the power cable - make sure it’s not damaged in any way or any extreme kinks or exposed cables. You can test the cable ( power off ) for continuit with a digital multimeter . If all is good then I’d be looking at the switch but this is about the point I’d stop unless the fault was obvious and be looking for professional help.also depends on age/ condition of the Bosch as some repairs are just not cost effective. There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum so they may be able to advise you further..

Welcome to the group - Initial checks for me ( not an electrician) would be the 3 pin plug for correct polarity, and all connections are. good and tidy. Next would be the power cable - make sure it’s not damaged in any way or any extreme kinks or exposed cables. You can test the cable ( power off ) for continuit with a digital multimeter . If all is good then I’d be looking at the switch but this is about the point I’d stop unless the fault was obvious and be looking for professional help.also depends on age/ condition of the Bosch as some repairs are just not cost effective. There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum so they may be able to advise you further..
It has very little use. I have checked all wiring and parts in connection.

It has very little use. I have checked all wiring and parts in connection.
My own electrical knowledge ends at the switch if all else is ok then I’d be happy to fit a new switch but after that it’s outside my comfort zone. If the router is worth saving then taking it to an authorised repair shop should give you the answer to the problem and quote to repair it if you don’t get the answer from other members.

My own electrical knowledge ends at the switch if all else is ok then I’d be happy to fit a new switch but after that it’s outside my comfort zone. If the router is worth saving then taking it to an authorised repair shop should give you the answer to the problem and quote to repair it if you don’t get the answer from other members.
Thanks I know about it. I am a full qualified electronic engineer as well worked in industries for 55 years. Thanks anyway.

I’ve also got a 1300 Ace that went bang, I replaced the switch and brushes, it’s now good as new. Being a Bosch, all spares are readily available over the internet.

Hello Dinesh, and welcome to the forum.
You've probably already thought of this but is there any bridging between the segments on the commutator? Have seen that cause problems before

Check the insulating segments on the comutator are not standing proud of the copper segments. If they are you will need to undercut them slightly which you can do by hand using a bit of hacksaw blade.

Gerry

From reading the original post I'm assuming that you now have a new set of brushes but not fitted those yet and just checking if there may be an underlying cause. If I've got this right, then Gerry's comment above is probably spot on. I would only add that you should check for any debris stuck between the segments.

Back