I am a pedant.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
acewoodturner":1sxrc06x said:
My family think I am a pedant too, but I just like accuracy and hate sloppiness and a lack of attention to detail. A few years ago Nokia brought out a new mobile phone which was supposed to be really rugged and bombproof. They had a photo of it in a forest next to a Husqvarna chainsaw, both of them on the ground. Only problem was that the picture of the chainsaw had been reversed before being photoshopped and they turned it into a left handed chainsaw! Pretty ironic considering Husqvarna are also a Swedish company. I pointed this out to the Nokia rep on the stand at the exhibition I was at and he looked pretty embarrassed. Don't know if they ever scrapped that brochure or if someone got a bollocking, but it sure was funny. Wish I had kept the brochure now.

Except Nokia is a Finnish company. Sorry just being pedantic :)

porker":1ny0r13p said:
acewoodturner":1ny0r13p said:
My family think I am a pedant too, but I just like accuracy and hate sloppiness and a lack of attention to detail. A few years ago Nokia brought out a new mobile phone which was supposed to be really rugged and bombproof. They had a photo of it in a forest next to a Husqvarna chainsaw, both of them on the ground. Only problem was that the picture of the chainsaw had been reversed before being photoshopped and they turned it into a left handed chainsaw! Pretty ironic considering Husqvarna are also a Swedish company. I pointed this out to the Nokia rep on the stand at the exhibition I was at and he looked pretty embarrassed. Don't know if they ever scrapped that brochure or if someone got a bollocking, but it sure was funny. Wish I had kept the brochure now.

Do try to keep up lad!
Phil P said that on the previous page. :roll:
Pedants should pay close attention to detail. :wink:

lurker":2bpm1zzd said:
porker":2bpm1zzd said:
acewoodturner":2bpm1zzd said:

Do try to keep up lad!
Phil P said that on the previous page. :roll:
Pedants should pay close attention to detail. :wink:

So he did! must pay closer attention.

Cheshirechappie":36za82bc said:
Limey Lurker":36za82bc said:
One of my distant ancestors was Which Tyler, Leader of The Pedant's Revolt

Actually, just to be pedantic, it was What Tiler.

Apparently, Kevin the Sparky wanted to join the revolt, but being pedants they told him he'd have to wait until the 20th century.

Wat Tyler actually. :p

dc_ni":37erjlst said:
When someone is pretending to be welding and all they are doing is making sparks annoys me waaaay more than it should.

100% confirmed pedant too. I used to date a girl who did the continuity for "casualty" and tease her about it all the time.

One of my particular dislikes is pretend computer typing - especially when "boffins / techy types" do it.

Drink levels, food, ties, shoes, fake ice in drinks (doesn't float), left hand > right > then back again. Coat collars up, down, up down, extras swapping chairs in the background (that's quite a funny one actually), things being backwards so they have obviously used the negative, or used a "zoom in" shot backwards to pan out and stuff is moving backwards - fire, smoke, reflections, any cleaning / sweeping going on and the pile just swept spreads over the floor again.

I could go on and on and on.

But my absolute favorite is the stormtrooper on the right hitting his head in the Star Wars "a new hope" :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBQaLuqwtl8

There were a couple of 'Grand Designs' going around with the Sun moving right to left across the screen. That doesn't happen in this country.
xy

I've just seen another.... creaking doors that all creak the same. Why someone decided a door being opened in shot requires a sound effect I have no idea, but it's invariably the same few sounds per type of door.

Father Brown in 1952 rides a modern Pashley with cable brakes, all painted up in matt black.

They use a proper old one with rod brakes for close ups.

BugBear

Now that we've got onto films :
• Vehicles with cold engines so that they spew clouds of water vapour from the exhaust
• Focusing, or out of focus, seems to be the new artistic in thing
• Lighting, or lack of it. If it's dark we can't see what's happening. There was a period where the laboratories in CSI were so dark it was unnatural.
• Mumbling
• Females are now actors not actresses

Latest posts

Back