How would you repair this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DOOGYREV

Established Member
Reaction score
How would you repair this? (or can you even repair it Permanently?)

MassimoGateRestorationPanelCrack.jpg

Use a router to remove one side of houseing on non show side, remove panel repair and check fit to allow movement make beading with routed detail glue and pin treat etc beading to finish.

If the panel pieces can move in the housing i.e. can be pulled together, glue blocks with paper joints onto opposing boards, when these are dry spread a waterproof glue onto the joint surfaces, tap in a couple of pinch dogs to cramp joint, and allow glue too dry before titivating the joints. If ness let in a cross piece to secure joint making sure the movement to the panel is free to expand/contract...bosshogg (hammer)
You can't help a man who dosen't tell you what he wants. :)

Cheers OLD, but in this case it's not really a feasible option, as both sides are very visible, I don't have the wood it was made from (I am not even sure what it is) and a price agreed 10 months ago, just to restore, not to repair and I only learnt about this crack yesterday, 'it's complicated' but thanks any way.

Bosshogg, wow thats a great tip =D>
I hadn't thought of that, unfortunately the panels will not budge one bit, might be glued in, or the groove is extremely tight, but it's one I certainly will remember for similar future situations, you should stick that one in Wrinkles.

BTW I picked some other, lets say interesting tips, when I Googled 'Paper Joints'
StonedSmiley.jpg

Wrinkles, what wrinkles, unless your referring to me...didn't know I was visible, must be that new web cam I bought... lights- action...bosshogg :lol:

Quote by Doggyrev: "...might be glued in" --was that why it cracked in the first place? Unglued panels tend to crack less...

Yes its one of the main factors, I assume as they used draw bore and no brace, they thought that glueing the panels might stop gates from dropping, but they have already dropped and there only a year old !

"...they thought that glueing the panels might stop gates from dropping, but they have already dropped and there only a year old !"

~ Tsk, Tsk!!

Back