How would you describe yourself in woodworking terms

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How would you describe yourself in woodworking terms

• Hobbiest

Votes: 49 47.6%
  • Joiner

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • Professional Woodworker

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Carpenter

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Cabinet Maker

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Furniture Maker

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Furniture designer maker

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • Butcher with wood

Votes: 11 10.7%
  • Other (please comment)

Votes: 6 5.8%

• Total voters
i voted carpenter, i did carpenrty and joinery at collage, round hear we get called joiners

18 views and only 3 votes :?

Not hard to click a button now is it guys. This could be a helpful poll to direct certain threads etc....

I'm a butcher of wood asswell. I have no formal training and just learn by mistakes which their are plenty.

Joiner/builder to bring in the pennies and hobbyist by choice. Very rarely use my workshop to make stuff for an income. Made a couple of kitchens and a few sets of wardrobes for family and friends as paying jobs but i like to use my workshop for me time, which sometimes involves lots of cups of tea, a few sketches and not much else.

Sometimes just the smell of wood is enough for me and i can spend hours in my shop not doing much at all.

I've ticked hobbiest. Not a word I like much as is covers a huge spectrum. I'm mostly repairing windmills and recusitating broken things. Latest is repairing ( read total rebuild) to a 200 year old spinning wheel.

Robert

I reckon I fall somewhere between wood butcher and hobbiest. I would be a hobbiest except for my complete lack of skills and talent, but I am working on that.

Greedo":k6jtdgyd said:
This could be a helpful poll to direct certain threads etc....

Out of interest - what sort of threads?

Some folk may be wary of voting - with ye ole t'interweb, lots of stuff can hit you just coz you said you like ice cream somewhere in the past :?

Just a thort

I ticked hobbiest but I do sometimes make a few quid out of my woodwork, but don't go telling the taxman. :lol:

Stew

Um , confession time. I'm not really a woodworker. My handicapped daughter and I rehab old (non collectable ) hand tools. I do play with wood though , models , toys and such. Mostly from card stock models from online sources. I hope you guys don't throw me out or tar and feather me. I get a lot from this site in advice on tools and some good tips for the limited stuff I do.

I could claim to be a woodworking professional, could being the operative word.

Worked for a sawmill for 6 months each year for 5 years, then got bumped sideways into a window factory, where after a while learning all the production line jobs, I ended up becoming a cheap substitute for a real bench joiner as I knew my way round hand tools and could follow clear instructions on how the rest of the bespoke joinery team wanted each task done...

My knowlege and experience is horrifically patchy as a result, I try to make up for the deficiencies through lots of reading, but there's no substitute for experience... "I hear, I forget; I see, I remember; I do, I know"

Now I've given in and returned to uni before it's too late, but am debating the merits of buying a Radial Arm Saw with my maintainance loan, justified because it's the price of three "good" nights out.

So I guess I'm really a hobbyist-furniture maker, who happens to have the benefit of industrial experience... As has been discussed elsewhere I'm Uhming and Ahing about trying to get apprenticed as a cabinet maker, over using my exhorbitantly costly (even when broken up with big chunks of full time work) education.

Latest posts

Back