How to..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GEPPETTO

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
it was much time ago I written on this forum ... more precisely usually I am on the other section(woodworking and hand tool) but now I need an advice on woodturning :wink:
I have never turned anything, but in the trial to refurbish an old corner furniture I must to make a new circular foot. Now...I admit I tried to make one of those old lathe called pole lathe, (old wooden slabs and nails 8) ; time to achieve about 1 hour) but without the pole and with an elastic band.
The first proof was with a square bar of fir (I know it isn't the appropriate wood to turn; I had that :roll: ) and as tool a chisel (I repeat:I know it isn't the appropriate tool to turn: :roll: :oops: )..
Results: the lathe works, in sense it turns and how it was expected the chisel isn't the appropriate tool.
You remind, I'm not a turner, (perhaps in the future, it seems as funny..) hence what are the basic tools I need ? Securely not too much expensive. Am I right? Or is there a simpler method to achieved one circular foot with onion shape and with a lot of claims?

Cheers, Gabriele

Hi Gabriele

A simple 9mm gouge (spindle or bowl) will so the job... if you have a round chisel with a bevel on the ouitside you could try that... pole lathe turning allows you time to be careful :wink:

oldsoke":3p96gqsg said:
Hi Gabriele

A simple 9mm gouge (spindle or bowl) will so the job... if you have a round chisel with a bevel on the ouitside you could try that... pole lathe turning allows you time to be careful :wink:

Hi oldsoke,
I think I'll prefer the gouge but.. what do you mean when you say "round chisel with a bevel on the outside".. any pictures?
Many thanks for now.

Cheers, Gabriele

oldsoke":ii9i13te said:
Hi Geppetto

Sorry, I don't have a pic... it's an 'ordinary' carpenters chisel... something like these:
http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11709

It was just that I thought you may have something similar in your lool chest to save buying one :wink:

Hi oldsoke, thanks again.. oohhh it is that..what we call "sgorbia".. yes I have one somewhere.. it was by my grandfather owned..

I let you know the progresses.

Cheers, Gabriele :wink:

Back