How to use white lime grain filler?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjalloq

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just bought some white lime filler from Smith & Roger and forgot to ask them how best to use it. On the off chance someone here has used it before I thought I'd ask before calling them up to find out they're closed for Chrismas. It's for a present I need to finish tomorrow.

I have some oak that I've fumed and want to fill the grain with the lime filler. I've just done a test piece and it's like a white paint that covers the whole surface. Are you supposed to just let it dry and then wipe it off? Or sand it off? It seemed pretty gloopy stuff but perhaps when it's dry it just flakes off.

Secondly, can I just wax over the top of it with Osmo or another paste wax? Or does it need to be sealed in somehow?

Cheers.

Rub into the grain with a rag then rub off excess across the grain with a clean rag before it dries. When dry seal with shellac or lacquer. You could just wax over but will get a more durable finish with shellac.
I hope you get it done in time.
Merry Xmas.

Thanks a lot for the advice but I gave up. Far too much to finish in time so it will get finished in the new year.

I was expecting it to only sit in the open pores rather than across the whole face. When I tried wiping it off the was lots of residue left.

Back