How to transfer CRISP image to wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gogsi

Established Member
Reaction score
Do any of you experienced scrollers transfer images to wood?
I'd love t be able to do this with the attached letters as, if I just glued a photo to the wood, I would have a white background that I don't want. If the image itself could be transferred directly to the wood, the white background would be the wood.
Have tried this using Mod Podge and also printing onto shiny label paper but the results were not very precise and rather faint.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• Elaborate Letter A for Alicia.jpg
    Elaborate Letter A for Alicia.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1,103
  • Elaborate Letter A for Alicia-Victorian.jpg
    Elaborate Letter A for Alicia-Victorian.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 1,103
  • Elaborate Letter Ac.jpg
    Elaborate Letter Ac.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,103
Have you tried looking on Youtube for videos? there are quite a few Yanks on there who do similar stuff, In the Hobbys catalogues there used to be some stuff for turning images into water transfers which involved painting some stuff onto the picture and when dry you soak it and rub the picture off leaving a transfer which you could then stick onto your wooden item and then spray some lacquer on to seal it, is this Mod Podge? if not its worth tracking down.
Cheers
Brian

Thanks for your post Claymore. Yes, I've looked at dozens and dozens of videos. What you describe does sound like Mod Podge, especially where you rub all the glue off revealing your image. Maybe I'll try it again and follow the directions to the letter : )

Take your image to Staples and have them do a reverse colour photocopy on plain paper
Take it home
Make sure the surface you intend to use is smooth and clean ( NO DUST)
Tape the image in place face down
Take you steam-iron set to its hottest and with minimum steam ~(but still a little coming out)
iron the back of the paper for around 5 mins (you are basically pretending to be a person sized photocopier/laser printer toner iron)
Before cooling gently lift one corner to see if it will peel and leave toner image behind, if not keep heating with iron and increase pressure slightly
repeat corner peel if OK then remove paper smoothly using a ruler behind the lifting paper (do not allow to cool too much or image will lif)
seal with whatever you want to use

Thanks a lot Droogs,
Will certainly give that a try. I will pretend to be a laser printer and see if I can fool the wood which I want to transfer to.
Your profile shows your location as Edinburgh. Is that the same Edinburgh I live in - Scotland?

Latest posts

Back