How to square a rogue fence?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madge

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I just got myself a dakota deluxe router table from Rutlands after hearing some positive things said about it here and was pleasantly surprised by the quality for price until I checked the angle aluminium fence for square. It's about 2mm out at one end and 1mm out at the other in the opposite direction. I contacted Rutlands and received a curt reply stating that the manufacturer has a tolerance of 2mm and so they wouldn't replace it. I have to say 2mm seems like a lot. Anyway if the fence was uniformly square along it's length I'd just put a shim between the main aluminium fence and the sliding mdf fences. I could still do this but then I'd have to keep the mdf fences fixed in the same position. Would it be possible though to somehow bend the aluminium fence square? Perhaps by clampling the fence to a square piece of timber? I wouldn't expect this to make it perfect but any improvement would be welcome. Anyone got any suggestions?

I see no reason why with careful leverage you can't bully it into submission a little. Can you mount it in a strong vice and then clamp a long lever to it. Tweak then check with a square...tweak again...check type procedure i.e. don't go far with each tweak so you don't stress the metal too much.

dm65":qqakre8m said:
Doesn't 2mm one way + 1mm the other make 3mm deviance ?

You need a replacement or your money back

+1 Too many people accept the rubbish companies like rutlands give them and "make do". As dm states ask for a replacement or your money back.

Cheers

Mike

Tell them that you are rejecting it under the Sale of Goods Act. They can either replace it or give you a full refund including P&P as the fault with respect to not being able to position the fence to the correct angle make it not fit for purpose. If the manufacturer has a tolerance of 2mm ask them why this isn't mentioned in the description or as part of the Rutlands T&Cs of sale ( I assume it isn't on the website). Also remind them that your contract is with Rutlands not the manufacturer. If you want a suitable letter use this one: Which Consumer Rights website. I have found that as soon as you state Sale of Goods Act most companies don't tend to argue and behave honorably.

Thanks all for the replies, unfortunately on re-reading the email Rutlands sent I noticed their 2mm tolerance is +/- so I guess the fence could be out by 2mm at one end and 2mm the opposite way at the other and they still think that's OK. I think that's pretty slack, almost no point having a fence at all. Even though my fence is within their tolerances I think it's worth pursuing and will contact them to see if they can provide any documentation stating the tolerance, it sounds like a fob off to me. I definitely will not be using Rutlands again whatever the outcome.

madge":386xq6ib said:
Thanks all for the replies, unfortunately on re-reading the email Rutlands sent I noticed their 2mm tolerance is +/- so I guess the fence could be out by 2mm at one end and 2mm the opposite way at the other and they still think that's OK. I think that's pretty slack, almost no point having a fence at all. Even though my fence is within their tolerances I think it's worth pursuing and will contact them to see if they can provide any documentation stating the tolerance, it sounds like a fob off to me. I definitely will not be using Rutlands again whatever the outcome.

That's not what +/- means (afaik) means it could be one way or the other, but not both

Please correct me if I'm wrong

What Rutlands say doesn't matter. 2mm is a HUGE amount* and not fit for purpose, IMHO.
They're just trying to weasel out of sorting the problem. Stick to your guns.

Anyway, legally they can't impose contract limitations post factum, and the whole
deal is in any case governed by consumer legislation. Threaten to return the whole thing
for a refund (incl. postage costs!) if they don't replace the part - that's your legal right.

E.

*for example, if you use a mitre lock cutter or any sort of coping rail+stile set, the setup
has to be right within about 0.25mm or better or the cutters simply won't work.

I'd agree it can only be one of the tolerances that are taken into account if it's +2mm at one end and -1mm at the other then it's out by 3mm.

What email are you referring to that states it can be +-2mm, if it wasn't part of the terms of sale then it isn't relevant to the grounds you are using to reject the goods. If you don't want to tough it out with them then you still have 7 days after you received the gods to return the item for a refund but you may be liable for the postal charges. Rejecting the goods makes Rutlands liable for these charges.

I bought one of those router tables a few years ago and the fence was twisted along its length by 1/4". Rutlands gave the same manufacturer's tolerance bulls**t, but because it was over half a year between me buying the table, putting it together and then finally using it, I didn't have a leg to stand on.

The only bits I have left of it are the base and T-track.

Mark

There's no mention of any tolerance on the web site, let alone +/- 2 mm. It does say, however, that it is suitable for a cabinetmaker or discerning home user, and one of the customer reviews they publish mentions that the fence is 'like the main wing spar of a Boeing 747'. If that is the wording they choose to describe this product then that does not tie up with the tolerance of +/- 2 mm.
It sounds as though they have informed you of the tolerance AFTER you made the purchase and in response to your complaint, in which case it is irrelevant - they can't add clauses to the contract after it has been made.
I would download, modify and send off the letter linked to above.

I have to say that I no longer buy anything from Rutlands any more. There are plenty of other retailers who sell better quality goods and put their customers first.

Madge,

As an apprentice-trained engineer I agree entirely with the above post - a tolerance of +/- 2mm means Plus OR Minus 2 mm (that oblique stroke is standard "shorthand" for the word OR). I cannot imagine that an engineer of any stripe could possibly think otherwise.

I know very little about routers and router table & fences (I'm about to start learning!) but assuming the other above poster is correct in saying that to do some tasks you need a tolerance of plus/minus 0.25 mm then the fence is definitely not fit for the purpose described.

In your place I'd definitely "go for it/them" (i.e. Rutlands).

Good luck.
Krgds
AES

AES":e52lhem8 said:
Madge,
In your place I'd definitely "go for it/them" (i.e. Rutlands).
But start off nice & polite - I deal with customers on the phone and those that start by shouting rub me up and I don't want to help and do what I can to get rid

By the same principal, I always make a tradesman a drink on arrival - keep them sweet :)

Latest posts

Back