How to remove kinks?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcW

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to remove kinks in a saw blade (Roberts & Lee rip cut handsaw). Normally I remedy this by locating the exact place and pressing and bending the opposit side on the edge of the workbench. It merely takes out the most coarse kinks and leaves behind an ugly snake form. :cry: So nobody knows of a page where I can get further information on how to do? Or maybe someone has a receipt he'd like to share?

Thankful for all help,

Marc

Thanks Jesse,

So far no better method than that one with the hammer? Hm? Seems there is undiscovered potential in this art. :roll:

Regards, Marc

Hi Marc,

Sorry for finding this thread a bit late...

Pretty much like Leif has on his site, really. But there's a problem. Either the saw needs to have value--personal or monetary--to even bother *if* the kink is worse than a gradual bend.

If there is any "sharpness" in the kink--a well defined crease--hammering will stretch the metal further. It will displace all the non-hammered steel around it and the saw can end up looking worse than before one started.

Also, the worse the kink, hammering can work-harden the hammered area. At best, this embrittles the saw plate, at worse it actually causes a crack to appear.

If the kink is bad, but near the toe, I always give it a go. Sometimes once I start, I realize it isn't actually as bad as I had thought. Other times, I am unsuccessful and so I cut the offending area off and make a panel saw of it.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Take care, Mike

Back