How to get them out?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've struggled to find wood turning courses in Suffolk when i was looking last year. I ended up have a day with Bill Care, just outside Bury St Edmunds. It was £80 for a days tuition. We went over the basics of what each tool did, he then taught me how to sharpen each of the tools. Then after a break for lunch we set to work making a bowl. Was really good, let me do i own thing but was always on hand when i wasn't sure, or started to fall back into 'old ways'. The best £80 i've spent on wood turning so far.

Hiya Wincho, welcome aboard good idea the lesson you will probley spend lots more mone on "must have" tools and wont get the same value .
REgards Boysie

I'm still struggling to get together a set of chisels so at the moment paying for a days tuition is out (I've been a victim of the crunch!). But when things are a bit more sorted I intend to book myself in for day!

thanks to everyone for there advice.

Matt

Hi Matt,

Nice work and nice thought!

If you want some tuition in the future you could do as lot worse than trying Andy Coates. He's based at Henstead Arts & Craft Centre (near Kessingland). I had two days with him when I first started turning and he probably saved me about two years of struggle. I'd recommend you do it as soon as funds allow as it'll save you having to un-learn any bad habits you've picked up.

If you're interested, Andy is demonstrating at our club (West Suffolk Woodturning Club) on May 19th (if that's the third Tuesday of the month!) You'd be more than welcome to come along as a guest for the evening and could check him out & have a chat.

Cheers,

Neil.

toolsntat":tzay1hn1 said:
greybeard":tzay1hn1 said:
A note for the future.....because sometimes it's a really tough wossname to get the drive out even when you do have a thread protector fitted (DAMHIKT!)....Do you have easy access to the pulleys on the drive shaft?
If so can you see/feel the bit of the shaft between the pulleys and the headstock bearing housing? Reason for asking is that there may be a 'flat' (don't know the technical term for it!) on the shaft which enables you to pop a spanner on and brace it against the housing. That immobilises the shaft (that gives you a fighting chance!).
And then you can unwind the protector, gently!, with molegrips or (as I do) with a generously proportioned adjustable spanner - the bigger the easier - and out pops the seemingly welded in place pronged drive.
It's worth trying to keep the shaft interior as clear/clean as you can - a buildup of crud in there makes for a strikingly effective 'glue'!

Have this problem at the moment and this could be the answer.....
Cheers
Andy

DOH!!
Misread the post and as I did not have a protector.......

Did this...

A= Phone local engineers and confirm they have required nut.
B= Go buy nut 50p.
C= Cut nut in half across points.
D= Apply mole grips to shaft.
E= Clamp 2 halves of nut to thread with big adjustable and twist.

Was convinced mole grips were slipping until I realised it had popped out :roll:
Slight rusting to the taper was the culprit :evil:

:idea: Business opportunity :idea:
Buy nuts to match all lathes and offer call out service ;) ;)

Back