How to fix a dodgy built in cabinet?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjalloq

Established Member
Reaction score
Long story short: I picked a bathroom installer who has totally let me down. This firm does the design/planning/sourcing of whatever and uses a couple of regulars for installation etc. Problem is, none of them are competent and we've been left with a right mess.

Everything from tiles that aren't flush, edging trim that isn't in the same plane as the tiles, that same trim which is anodised being scratched, and a general grouting disaster, culminating in the installation of a cabinet that got me so mad I kicked the shelf off.

That cabinet was supposed to be a flush install, recessed within a bit of tiled boxing that created a shelf flush with the soil pipe boxing. We asked for sliding doors as the cupboard is to the left of the toilet so you couldn't open a door more than 45 degrees.

What we got was sliding doors from a built in wardrobe company that took half the volume of the cupboard. A carcass that wasn't actually a cabinet - just four sides screwed into the supporting backer board which meant the edges weren't flush. And gaps and broken MFC edges all over the place. Not to mention the chipped tile and the scuffed Gerberit face plate.

One of the biggest issues for me was that they actually attempted to install it given that the tiler couldn't hit a straight edge anywhere in the room. How they intended to install a flush fit cupboard with those edges is beyond me. I was expecting them to take one look and decide the original plan was shot and build something with a minimal face frame. The owner even turned up with a tube of sealant and was going to try and fill in the edges before I told him to sling it.

Anyway, two questions. What can I do with what is currently there to make it usable until I can replace it? Stick a face frame over it or can you suggest a thin trim that might work to cover the edging?

Secondly, when I replace this myself, I guess I'm stuck with the same issue of having to try and hide the uneven tile edges. Is my only option a face frame of sorts? Does anyone know of any glass/anodised/gloss edging that might be suitable? We wanted a gloss white cabinet to match the under sink unit but I also quite like the idea of a smoked oak carcass or shelving. That would work with our tiles.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qJLitMgUEVmjNBJ67

Thanks.

Try and square it up best you can, then fix some architrave all the way around it. You could use some flat beading as architrave if you wanted to. First though I would be getting the bathroom company in to pay for and sort all their pineapple ups.

The tiling doesn't look awful, but the cabinet work is appalling. Haul it out and make something better yourself, and design out the flush finish idea. It will be far better with a neat little cover moulding/ architrave.

can't you get a refund? that is an unacceptably low level of work, I would complain about it, especially the cabinet, it just looks awful, massive gaps and nothing looks square, the fact they were going to seal it is worrying.

an architrave would help, but it only works best with things that are perfectly square or very close to perfect, it can be a pain to fit otherwise.

I'm definitely not paying for the cabinet as that will come out as soon as I have time. The problem is that I have a baby due last Sunday which is why I paid the 'professionals' to do this job in the first place. I've already got them to redo a corner around the soil pipe that was truly shocking and replace the worst bit of Porcelanosa trim that as scratched during grouting. I'll have to live with the rest. Don't get much for 12 grand in Cambridge.

Thanks for the suggestions on how to fix it. I might try and find some low profile architrave or beading to at least cover the gaps until I can rip it out. Anyone ever seen high gloss white flat beading?

Back