how to correct a wonky screw hole?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madge

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all, was just fitting the hinges for a small box and thought I'd just freehand the pilot holes but a couple have come out significantly off vertical. Any suggestions for what to fill them with so I can re-drill with a pillar drill?

any old match (or make your own) and a bit of superglue!

Matches all the way as per Marcus

I use wood glue though, not superglue as I like my skin ON my fingers :)

Also good for door hinge screws, toilet seat hinges that bust a screw (like happened here only a month ago and still haven't replaced it like I said I would) etc etc

for deeper use toothpicks, wider than a toothpick use a wooden grill kebab skewer and for even larger variations use dowels - especially for door hinge holes that are bad / old / threaded or just plain FUBAR. Drill hole to match dowel size and glue - superglue for instant repairs needed or wood glue if you have the time spare.

I've used dowels to make good many a door hinge issue.

Thanks all for the advice, which I have followed and it has done the trick!

Its probably obvious to most but use a good hardwood dowel. I used some cheap stuff for exaclty what the OP is asking and when we put the new screws in it had about as much hold as screwing in cotton wool..

Back