How to Choose Blade for Mitre saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sitefive

Established Member
Reaction score
Recently got a New ( new for me :D ) sliding mitre saw , the last owner said its still on its original blade, Not convinced that it's still decent enough due to the cut quality so time for a new one.
It has 305mm blade, however not sure what blade should I go for? I do not want to go for the cheapest one, but don't have the money to spend to get the best of the best as Only paid £120 for the saw itself, Not really looking to spend more than £35 on a new blade if possible.

It will be used ONLY to cut wood, and needs to leave a nice finish,speed of cut isnt really that important as its much faster/easier than doing it with handsaw anyway =D>

I have found myself some dewalt 60t blade:
http://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Dewa ... %20X%2060T

and much more expensive Makita 80t blade
http://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Maki ... aw%20Blade

or bosch 96t blade
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bosch-Multima ... xySoJTV2Ox

Anyone can possibly show me the best blade in that price range you can get? or at least which one from those 3 blades above is the best? Thanks.

Also which tooth count I should go for? 60 or above it? Will be cutting both very thick materials (4x4) and also small pieces.
The current 60tooth blade tears out material also like crazy to a point where its unusable sometimes even with a sacrificial piece.

Is it not worth getting the current blade sharpened, assuming there is enough meat left on it?

sitefive":2cpsc1aa said:
don't really have anything to sharpen it with..
You can often find that a local tool shop or timber yard offers access to a sharpening service, usually on a weekly turnaround - it's how I get mine done. Otherwise a quick google for 'saw blade sharpening uk' throws up a number of mail-order possibilities. Also noticed someone on eBay the other day offering a sharpening service...

If you want a new blade I've been quite happy with Freud Pro, or maybe there's something in Axminster's 'Axcaliber' range that would suit your needs and budget??

HTH Pete

As Mr Millard says, getting the original blade sharpened could be the best and most economical answer.
You don't say what model saw you have bought, normally buying another of the manufacturers blade's when supplied new, with the machine is a good idea, unless of course you have had any problems with it, since purchase,
apart from sharpening, maybe tearing out or burning on some timbers, etc.
Regards Rodders

Makes no sense to mail a sawblade (which I don't know anything about or if its even good if sharpened) to get it sharpened wait for it back, pay at least £15 for the service When you can spend £25 and get a new blade the next day..

I have had other dewalt blades myself (not circular saw ones) and they have been better than bosch ones so only thought about those because of past experience.

I know the saying , buy cheap buy twice and it's certainly true but seriously how can anyone afford to drop £50 for a saw blade?

it depends how often you are using it, i have learned this the hard way i bought a silverline blade for 18 quid thinking how bad can it be but it was dull in a week and wandered all over the place if i tried to cut oak, if i buy a freud i can get 6 months out of it before i need to even sharpen it,

unfortunately you have a 305mm blade so a poor one is going to deflect and a good one is going to cost more,

out of the ones you picked im pretty sure the bosch is goiog to be the best because as far as im aware they bought out freud who are now making their blades and that one should be not far off a freud blade..

trend have a decent reputation this might be worth a go if you want to go cheap, ive not used one but well reviewed on amazon

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TREND-CRAFTPR ... JArFk4aoMw

you will find a lot of lads here spending £80 on a festool blade, i tend to go for freud because when you are working with expensive woods you cant afford not to have a good blade on your machine.

Alexfn":23ne6wpx said:
...you will find a lot of lads here spending £80 on a festool blade, i tend to go for freud because when you are working working with expensive woods you cant afford not to have a good blade on your machine.
Yep. Bought a Freud blade to use while my 80 tooth Festool original was being sharpened - still using it...

Pete

sitefive":1y9n3dia said:
Makes no sense to mail a sawblade (which I don't know anything about or if its even good if sharpened) to get it sharpened wait for it back, pay at least £15 for the service When you can spend £25 and get a new blade the next day..

Why not do both; then you'll have a spare.

sitefive":1y9n3dia said:
I know the saying , buy cheap buy twice and it's certainly true but seriously how can anyone afford to drop £50 for a saw blade?

You spent £120 on the machine used; skimping on the blade will compromise it, wasting that £120. What would it have cost new?

probably some £400 -10 years ago, that's how old the saw is.
Had a look again and came to the conclusion that dewalt one is just some general purpose blade , the trend ones have only 64tooth count for £25 , and the makita/bosch ones are only some £10 cheaper than the Freud blade. So Freud blade it is? Or is there something better than that freud blade for the same price?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Freud-Pro-LP6 ... SwDNdV3cAl

Damn can't believe I'm thinking of getting a £47 blade...why are they so bloody expensive in first place?

well ordered the freud blade :| It's in no way cheap whatever way you look at it, however while searching if trend blades are decent, mostly they are ok, however one guy in this forum said that a tooth flew off of it and took a chunk out of his ear #-o I guess I will pay a bit more and at least hope it doesn't happens to me.

Well the Freud blade arrived today, and WOW The old blade was much much much worse than I originally had thought.
This blade cuts through 4x4 like a butter, probably 3x faster than the old blade even the old blade was 60tooth and the old blade was slowing down the mitre saw as It couldn't cope with cutting.

there is a zero tearout when cutting now , and the end grain is now cut in a finish which I couldn't even achieve by sanding it...
Thanks Alexfn for showing me that blade!

thats another bonus of having a good sharp blade, puts less stress on the machine meaning it lasts longer, you should get a a good few years out of that blade if you get it sharpened every so often .

glad you are happy with it

Back