How to build a builtin wardrobe in an alcove - the technique

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
johnelliott":14n7lizc said:
Why bother with a face frame at all? Is it an appearance thing?

Partly - I do think face frames look nicer.

I also find it easier to fit and scribe a frame than fit a frameless cabinet.

I don't have to paint or finish a cabinet edge in a different finish to the inside. Also being cynical a frame seems to have a higher perceived value (not Ikea) so I can charge more for it.

Cheers

Tim

Very useful thread - I have to put a TV/entertainment unit in a wide alcove and most of the problems I've been worrying about have been covered here.

One question on fitting face frames though. With a freestanding cabinet, i assume the frame would normally be built and glued up before being fixed to the cabinet. Whats the procedure with a big builtin, where the stiles need scribing?

Are the frame components fixed individually to the cabinet, and if so, how do you ensure a good stile/rail join?

Thanks
Drew

dlowry_uk":emi5tkni said:
Whats the procedure with a big builtin, where the stiles need scribing?

Are the frame components fixed individually to the cabinet, and if so, how do you ensure a good stile/rail join?
You still make-up the frame before applying it, although the frame may need to be 2 or 3 pieces in fact. Sometimes it can be easier to scribe the frame stile before assembling the frame

Scrit

Sorry to drag up this old thread, but I am looking to have a go at a very similar project. I want to build some built in wardrobes into the eves of a loft and was looking at using either veneered MDF or Chipboard with angle cut acrylic doors (probably from parpan or such). With quotes coming in from fitted Bedroom suppliers at around £3-4k ( :shock: :shock: ) I wouldn't mind giving this a go.

However, all the images form the original thread are now no longer linked. If anyone still is subscribed and still has the images available, I would very much like it if the could be re-linked, as I (like so many of the others) am having difficulty understanding with out the pictorial backup.

Check the cost of your Parapan, the doors will cost several hundread pounds each which will eat into the £3-4K quite quickly.

Sorry can't help with teh pics

jasonB":2d20mdx5 said:
Check the cost of your Parapan, the doors will cost several hundread pounds each which will eat into the £3-4K quite quickly.

Sorry can't help with teh pics

I'm just doing that as we speak :eek:ccasion5:. as I kinda figured that this might be the case. We are after simple contemporary slab doors (square edged, no bevels, hand cut-out our dado lines etc) that can be cut to the correct angle and finished well (probably by the manufacturer) in a high gloss finish or the colour of our choice (mushroom apparently says the boss). Has anyone got any other ideas for door types like this?

The room width is a approximately 4.2m (although still under construction so plasterboard and finish will affect this), but the eves are low so will will not have doors all the way across). The ridge height is approximately 2.1m at the centre of the room, and the eves go down to approx 700mm on both sides. With these measurements (and the fact that we want a run of drawers under the eves on one side) I don't think we will have more that 5-6 doors. I will build a stud frame and plasterboard the areas under the lowest parts of the eves.

I will run up a little skechup diagram to help me visualise what I want.

I have seen some on here get very good results with MDF and a spray finish.

The bedroom is not as hard wearing as say a kitchen so should stand the test of time.

Is that worth a thought? Would be considerably cheaper I think.

Mick

I know it's an old thread, but thanks for the tips! I will be taking on a project like this in the near future so this has been an interesting read.

@MickCheese - I will probably spray paint the room, as i had a fantastic finish with the kitchen like that with an relatively cheap HVLP sprayer, but never though of spraying doors. Not sure if i could get the finish I would want.

Anyhow, I have now knock up a Sketch up drawing of what i think I would like, although I'm not sure it will work quite as it is. I have created another post with attached renders as its a little off topic, but should you wish to view and give me further advice, please have a look here (ideas-for-wardrobe-built-in-the-eves-of-a-loft-t50268.html)

I am no expert but just keep in mind the shine a car sprayer gets by cutting back and finally polishing a sprayed finish.

Worth a trial piece to see if it is possible. Would save you a fortune on those posh doors.

Mick

MickCheese":3st88zwu said:
I am no expert but just keep in mind the shine a car sprayer gets by cutting back and finally polishing a sprayed finish.

Worth a trial piece to see if it is possible. Would save you a fortune on those posh doors.

Mick

Cheers Mick. My Spraying kit is nothing like a car sprayer. You need a High pressure compressor and fine spray head for that. My High Volume, Low Pressure stuff will give a good finish on a wall compared with a roller, but simply won't cut a high polished finish. Not sure if I will be able to get them sprayed locally or not. In know what I can and can't do and I think that I have neither the skill not equipment to do this.

I think your right with the Parapan. Very nice but toooooooo expensive. I have seen some acrylic skinned doors (such as Zurfiz - although don't have quite have the colour range) that if I can get cut to the right shape might do the job.

The search goes on...

Back