How to allow for shrinkage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lofty

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first post so I hope I get it right!
A couple of years ago I made a chest of drawrers out of oak. The sides and the top were solid planks which were held together by frames glued into dados in the sides. A standard form of construction I think. I was pleased with the result but after it had been in our bedroom for two or three months, first one side, then the other split. I assume this was due to the oak boards shrinking a little and the frames glued into the sides tried to stop the movement. I now want to make two smaller chests for a friend and have been trying to decide how I should fit the frames to allow for movement in the sides. Any advice would be most welcome.

Hi Lofty,

I'm new around here too so we will probably make fools of ourselves together!

I think you are right - glueing the frames into trenches in the sides has restricted movement in the side panels, causing them to split. Two solutions spring to mind.

1. Do not glue frames in - just 1 screw in the middle to allow movement either side.

2. Use veneered MDF

I would go with option 2.

Jack

Jack, thanks for the reply. I had thought of screwing the frames. The only problem I can see with that is that there is not much thickness of wood to screw into. The sides are 3/4" thick and the frame is let in say half of that. This means there is only 3/8" at most to screw into. Perhaps I could glue just the centre of each frame? The problem with that is that the frames show at the front so it is important that the joint between the frame and the sides is kept closed up tight. There must be some way to do it as I think this method of construction was how it would have been done many moons ago. MDF would solve the problem but I am trying to make copies of old furniture so that wouldn't seem right somehow!

Lofty - do you mean that the sides are made up of a panel set into a frame ? If so,it is normal to leave the panel "floating" in the frame (leave a small gap,and not glued at all) to allow for expansion and contraction.

Hope this is of help - unless I have completely misunderstood,in which case,I'll get me coat... :wink:

Andrew

Andrew, no the sides are made of solid timber. The frames are mounted horizontally between the sides and form the runners that the drawers rest on. Hope that is clear. I could add a photo to this if I knew how to do it!

Lofty

Back