how to accurately cut thick stock?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats nowt ! When i were a lad .........
RAS or hand saw and ROS or belt sander .

I'll put my vote in for the handsaw option - unless you have a chopsaw with the capacity,plenty of space,and an adjustable stand to support the rest of the timber.

Speaking of which,I still have some 6" square,12' long lengths of timber I keep putting off doing something with..(mainly because I can't lift the damn things :lol: )

Andrew

Andrew, I could help you with that lumber. All I seem to do in my shop is make wood shorter. By the time I got done with your boards, you could put them in a shopping bag or two and carry them just fine. :D

beejay":hayxzizd said:
Piece of cake for me with the RAS :lol:
You see, they do come in useful at times.
beejay

http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

I was just looking at your Triton pics and how you were marking to drill the holes. When I marked the holes for my crappy B&D router I just removed the plastic plate on the bottom of the router. Didn't have to manhandle the weight of the router then and got perfectly accurate holes. :wink:

how about an excuse to buy a small Mafell with the track. since they cut slightly over 40 mm, the track can cover more than one piece, and clamped together then you can turn them over.

finally you could clean up by using that strange old think a hand plane.
or as everybody else says a router with a long bit.

paul :wink:

or you could use a welding torch, and burn the b thing,
oh the days of welding truck frames back together on the
motorway in the freezing cold.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

There is a way to use a skill saw 8) but you do need at lest a 40 tooth blade to stop break out.
You need to glue and screw two pieces of wood together ( 18 mm ply is better if you have some spare ) At right angles to each other.
Have one piece about 2 feet long and the other about 18 inchs long.
Glue and screw the short piece to one end of the long piece and make sure they are square to each other, you can now put the long piece on your top but first make sure you cut your line with a knife, you than cut you top over size using your new fence ( make sure your clamp do not move or slip ).
After you first cut ( this will cut your short piece of wood at the bottom ), your fence will will also help you line up your saw next time you use it.
If this is confusing I will post a picture of mine :-k :-s
It is very easy to make and use ( the picture will make it all clear :wink: 0

you're right colin you can make a t cutting device, but the track is now available with so many good saws, it is a valuable item to have.
paul :wink:

thanks to everyone - some good option's here - i might have a go with the router option on a scrap piece and see how it goes

Latest posts

Back