how to accurately cut thick stock?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean_in_limerick

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I need to cut the square ends off some laminated 4" thick oak - my puny table saw shudders at anything around 2" thick - what methods to people use to accurately cut square ends on thicker material like this?

Cheers,

Sean

We talking crosscut here?

My chopsaw has approx 4" depth of cut, so that sees me OK with most things.
Thicker than that and I'll use multiple cuts from two or all four sides: you can do the same thing on the table saw.

Is a bandsaw an option? Otherwise, one of those long thin metal things with lots of teeth along one edge :D

yes - i am crosscutting - i have a bandsaw but i have 8ft long pieces and they would be too cumbersome (and heavy) to cut accurately i think - i had considered the table-saw approach but the length/weight of the pieces makes it a challenge - perhaps handsawing would be best - but my poor hands... - just looking really to see how people generally do this.

Sean

:D this might sound unuseal :oops: :idea: but if your band saw is on wheels or could you clamp your wood to the same leaval as the blade and move the band saw with a guide. :shock:

hope it helps

martyn :D

How much do you have to remove? You could possibly use a router and a guide clamped to the board. You'd make the cut in multiple passes but it could be done that way.

Straight edge and circular saw, tends to leave a messy edge though. Maybe cut long and finish with router and straight cutting bit.

Andy

Hand saw without a shadow of doubt, The size you describe would be difficult to man-handle around a table or bandsaw

If you mark it up with a square and cut carefully, it should be a straight forward task. Clean up afterwards with a hand plane if necesary

keep it coming gentlemen - i am starting to veer towards the hand-sawing option - it sounds safer than the other (moving bandsaw!!) options - might take me a while though!

definitely an excuse to buy a RAS - but this would probably lead to 'an extended period of silence' from her good self - still...

sean_in_limerick":18880lbd said:
definitely an excuse to buy a RAS - but this would probably lead to 'an extended period of silence' from her good self - still...

and the problem is :?:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

martyn

He is so brave when my much better halfs not looking :oops:

Mark where you want to cut with a square and pencil. Then go over it with a Stanley knife. Then on the waste side chisel a slope to the cut. Do this on all four sides of the wood. This will give the hand saw something to run in. If you do it well and use a good hand saw, this technique can produce good results with minimal cleaning up required.

Hope this helps.

Good luck :)

Paul

4", thats nothing. I did these 8" table legs with a chainsaw then cleaned up the egdgrain with a hand plane.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v156/jaso ... ktable.jpg

Other option is to cut to within a couple of mm with a handsaw then use a router and straight edge to clean up the cut. A 50x12.4 cutter will go half way then a bottom bearing guided cutter run against the already routed surface from the other side, a bit like these legs

http://photobucket.com/albums/v156/jaso ... ent=b2.jpg

Jason

4", thats nothing. I did these 8" table legs with a chainsaw then cleaned up the egdgrain with a hand plane.

Eeeeee lad tha dont know tha's born.
When i were lad I cut these railways sleepers wae bare teeth in freezin' cold wae out shoes on,, and all before breakfast :lol:

beejay
http;//community webshots.com/user/eunos9

:D yee were lucky to have teeth, when I were a lad wee use to gum our way through oak trees in pouring Rain upto our necks in water all alll before we got up :D

martyn :D

long live monty python :D :D

Back