How old is too old ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomer

Established Member
Reaction score
At 39 years old am i to old to learn cabinet making ?I've always loved working with wood but 90% of projects end up in the bin,since joining this site i've sat here in ore at the many projects you have made but realise its took many years to master,so have i still got time.

No doubt about it. Keep trying. There are lots of ways to accelerate your learning. Find a local buddy, and get some help. Or share a project, and manufacture twice as much, then you both have an item at the end. Finishing them individually means they will be quite individual.

Hit the library, and read and reread those books. Watch "norm" on the TV. Someone here will know which channel thats on. Read magazines, or see if you can find any DVDs on woodworking in a "loan" library.

Keep practicing. Read up on how to get your tools sharp, and tuned up. That makes a big difference.

Me, and several other members here find skips a great source of practice (or better) material. Watch for pubs being refitted etc. Scour the web for plans on every type of item you want to build.

Take an evening class, - that made a big leap in my skills.

Other than that, just keep plugging away. Good luck.

Adam

Of course :D

John Bullar has been writing a series called "The apprentice" in Furniture & Cabinetmaking magazine http://www.individualfurniture.com/ If you've not seen it, it might be worth your while getting the back issues as he goes over a lot of the basic skills in a very helpful way.

Hang on in there :wink:

Paul

Adam":2n9omane said:
Take an evening class, - that made a big leap in my skills.
I can second that - I've been going to evening class for the last three years. It's good because it wasn't so much a tutorial (I was dreading "right, this term we're all going to be making a spice rack") but rather a project class where you make what you want to make and have the tutor on hand to help with any specific points and do any work on the larger machines. IMHO, it's been much easier to learn this way, while doing specific projects, than just randomly practising joints on softwood etc.

Also, of course, it's a good opportunity to see what other folk are doing, how they are doing it, chat about various techniques etc and pick the brains of a knowledgeable teacher. I'm at the stage now where I'm not sure if I actually need to keep going because I have many of the tools I need (I've found most things can be done with very few tools), but suspect I might miss the interaction with other folk.

boomer":2n9omane said:
At 39 years old am i to old to learn cabinet making
As others have said, certainly not! When I first went to the evening class I think I was 33, and had never done any woodwork at all (bar trying to avoid it at school). But I had some clear ideas of what I wanted to make and now, although I'm nowhere near the standard of some other folk here, I'm making decent furniture that I and (the very demanding) SWMBO are more than happy to have in our house.

That's within 3 years, so I don't think age is an issue at all - although I'm still a beginner with lots more to learn!

HTH, Matthew

:( PLEASE - PLEASE - PLEASE :( dear members of this forum, do not say that boomer is too old!

I am 58 and have only just started to plan the building of my workshop!!

David

You're both old enough to know better than to get on such a Slope. [-X :lol:

Tsk, it's only really too late when you gaze at your bedside table from your deathbed and think "hmmm, I could make something better than that..." :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Mr_Grimsdale":24pxqvws said:
Rule of thumb says it takes about 10k hours (well spent) to become expert in anything i.e. 5 years full time; in time something like a trad apprenticeship, or degree + professional practice.
So take half of that and you'd be pretty good and improving.
This figure came from RCM study of what makes a good musician at the start of their career; answer 10k hours practice and study.

So it's never too late.

cheers
Jacob
PS I've been playing the banjo for what seems like eternity and I'm still rubbish.

When you put it in terms of the number of hours it sounds like an impossibly long time and yet, for me the last five years seem to have just flown by. I'm 51 so it is never too late. Some basic skills like learning to sharpen your tools properly can make a huge difference to the quality of the work you can do. The quality of your tools can make a difference too but it is very easy to get carried away with buying expensive kit. The quality of the material you work with will also have a bearing on the final product. B&Q timber (or any of the DIY sheds) can be pretty dire with every flaw you can imagine (cupping, bowed and twisted boards etc.). Finishing is another area that us beginners find difficult to get right and that really can make or break a project.
What type of projects have you attempted so far, maybe you are being too ambitious? Or maybe the perfectionist in you is being unduly harsh with the criticism. You will always see your mistakes, but as someone said on this forum recently, the best way to hide your mistakes is not to tell anybody about them.

Boomer

Get a grip man! 39 is not old for just about anything. I'm 38 in about 2 weeks so not so different. I do cabinet making for a living and only made my first thing 6 years ago. I'm self taught but not too proud to ask for help. This forum has taught me loads.

You just need to get stuck in, make a few mistakes and realise its good fun.

Cheers

Tim

The only time you are too old is when you have rigor mortis :wink:

By the way,whereabouts are you ? (No location in your profile)
As Adam said,finding someone near who shares the same interest is a great way to learn - and we are all still learning,and always will be.
So join in,post some pictures,ask as many questions as you like - and most importantly enjoy it

Andrew

crickey at 39 you are just starting out on life's journey,
up to now it has been a way of finding what interests you.

everyone on this site is unsatisfied by everything they have made
within 20 minutes or an hour of installing it, it is the nature of the
beast.

the only way to get better is to make things. finish them, then move on,
and make something different using some or all of the techniques you
have just learnt, eventually you will have more than one piece
that you really like and feel proud to show, but the next piece
could be a crock of s**t. the wrong wood, the wrong shapes
the wrong colour. you can only learn by making.

i would suggest to anyone starting out to make solid mdf or ply
containers like bookshelves or cupboards, and then add some
real wood finishing touches like beading and drawer fronts,
that way it will stand out from store bought.

only by making things can you make things, it is a viscious circle,
b**ger isn't it????

the most important things to learn are cutting square, and then finally
sharpening.but i agree do not get carried away with too much
machinery. the most important is something that cuts square and
true.

take care and enjoy

paul :wink:

Boomer, Age is not a barrier to anything, unless you let it be!
As for the 5yrs to be an expert, I'm a time served joiner and have been for getting on for 30 yrs and I don't consider myself an expert.
Like anything else in life, there's always more to learn.
The basic principles I try to teach apprentices who work with me are:
Straight, plumb. level and square, obviously other thing come into play, out of wind etc.
But if you think of these 4 basic principles before you start a job, you're half way there.
As for tools, too many people become obsessed with the best hand tools money can buy.
Every joiner I have ever come into contact with (1000's) had what would be considered basic tools, stanley etc.
Practise makes perfect!
Just my half pence worth

Steve

Adam":2ic658ny said:
Watch "norm" on the TV.

Adam
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :shock: :) That's the path to hell and spending a fortune on machinery you don't need and probably never will, and if you do need it one day you will only find yourself replacing early rash purchases. Been there, done that it's a false start. Read books, websites, look at pictures - work out what you like and how you might achieve it. Start with simple tools and upgrade as you need (at least that's what I keep telling myself - window shoppings fine :) ) . I try to have a vision of where I want to get to with anything I make, and I try to have an theoretical understanding of whats involved before I start and then when I do I go slow. Certainly hope 39 isn't too old - 'tis same as me.
Cheers Mike

Ive been working with a guy in his 30s along with another carpenter and joiner that has him as an apprentice this week and its great to have a more mature student that actually wants to listen to what is said and done . He is putting himself through collage along with spotty 17 year olds that dont really care what is said .
Go for it i say ! Ive just started trying to turn and am very lucky to have a fellow forumite come over when he can to show me tips and tricks :D Your never to old to learn .

The easiest thing to do is to do nothing especially if you have not done something before. There must be at least 10 different ways to do something & have it come out right. Woodworking as a hobby is enjoyable or so many people would not do it. Most find it stress relieving & a source of satisfaction. My dad was a finishing carpenter. He was so busy putting food on the family table that he had no time to teach me anything. However, through observation, I did pick up a means of telling when kitchen cupboards had quality workmanship. When stairs were properly constructed, doors hung properly, finishing trim such a crown mouldings properly installed, etc. If you know what a woodworking item should look like when finished...how you get there becomes incidental. Keep at it. Books are a good source....you can keep going back to them over & over again until all of the questions in your mind have been sorted out for a particular project. If you work from plans, make yourself a list of things to do in sequence. If you do that, you will have a good grip on what must be done before you even start. Good luck.

Lee

Lee Brubaker":51216vmr said:
The easiest thing to do is to do nothing especially if you have not done something before. There must be at least 10 different ways to do something & have it come out right. Woodworking as a hobby is enjoyable or so many people would not do it. Most find it stress relieving & a source of satisfaction. My dad was a finishing carpenter. He was so busy putting food on the family table that he had no time to teach me anything. However, through observation, I did pick up a means of telling when kitchen cupboards had quality workmanship. When stairs were properly constructed, doors hung properly, finishing trim such a crown mouldings properly installed, etc. If you know what a woodworking item should look like when finished...how you get there becomes incidental. Keep at it. Books are a good source....you can keep going back to them over & over again until all of the questions in your mind have been sorted out for a particular project. If you work from plans, make yourself a list of things to do in sequence. If you do that, you will have a good grip on what must be done before you even start. Good luck.

Lee

Well said. =D> (bold added by me)

Boomer, by average life spans, you're not even half-way yet - learn and enjoy a new challenge!!

Back