How old is my backsaw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedder

Established Member
Reaction score
(I know, this thread would work better with pictures, but I can't take any at this moment. )

I got an old Tyzack tenon saw (14 inch) today. It has become a habit of me, to buy english saws and take their backs/splines and screws and add a new handle and sometime a blade. But this one isn't the usual 1970s Spear & Jackson but a W. Tyzack Sons & Turner with split nuts, a brass back with elephant / nonpareil logo and a handle with a beautiful lambs tongue. Is there any webside like disstonianinstitute for english backsaws? Any idea how old this saw is?

Cheers
Pedder

Pedder
"Hand Saw Makers of Britain" says...

Tyzack Wm. Sons and Turner
Sheffield 1867-1990
Nonparieil and Elephant mark.
Ltd by 1906

So between 1879 and 1906, if that helps?
Philly :D

Philly":u70xb806 said:
Pedder

Nonpareil and Elephant mark.
Ltd by 1906

Hi Philly,

Do I read this correct? My saw is 100+ years old? 8) Or is it between 1906 and 1990? :roll:

Cheers Pedder

Sorry Marc,

at this moment only the picture from the 'bay. :oops: Maybe later more.

BTW, I'm pretty sure they used Nonpareil + Elephant after 1906. Would be interesting when they stopped using split nuts.

Cheers Pedder

B3795.jpg

Doesn't that mean it became a limited co by 1906?

That handle looks pretty early to me though.

I'm fast coming to the conclusion that saw dating should be taken with a pinch of salt. I've a similar offering (below) that a previous owner marked 1907. Obvious differences between mine and yours would be a medallion and slightly more ornate chamfer along the top edge (only slightly, it might just not be clear from your picture but yours looks to be a clean cut all the way across, mine has a bit). Other than that yours looks very familiar, the brass back especially; I've later back saws from Tyzack that have a more decorative back. I couldn't tell you how those things relate to the age of your saw. I can tell you that mine is the nicest tenon/carcase saw I've had the pleasure of using.
handsaws.jpg

I've a few other saws by Tyzack. The big cross cut saw, second from the left, I am utterly unsure of the age - somewhere between 1870 and 1970 I reckon. I've a small, open handled back saw which shares the same inscription and style of back to yours but with screw heads rather than split nuts and the afore mentioned other tenon saw, a 120, which is inscribed Tyzack Turner & Sons Ltd and has a much more modern looking handle with a crude lambs tongue and modernist angular look about it. I'd guess 40s-50s-60s, again without split nuts.

clicky

Here's a couple of Tyzacks (badged Frederick Willey, Leeds) that belonged to my Grandfather - I reckon they are early 1900's?:

fwts2ln3.jpg

fwrs1ih4.jpg

Rod[/img]

I can't add much to the discussion on backsaws by Tyzack, but I do have a very nice crosscut Nonpariel with the elephant logo that would date from maybe the 1950's if that helps.
On a different tack I have tried to find some information on another English saw that I have which is a 16 inch backsaw by Abbeydale of Sheffield.
I shot a query off to Alice Frampton but she was unaware of the make.
Has anyone any info on this maker. Sorry I don't have a photo at the moment, I will post one tonight if I can figure out how to.
Regards
MC

There is an interesting history on the Tyzack family, written by Dan Tyzack, here. Apparently the Abbeydale brand was Tyzack's "budget" line.

Joel

Martin Cash":q2zdjm16 said:
Here is a pic of the said Abbeydale saw - the poor cousin of the Tyzacks.
[/img]http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=70053&d=1206603362

Regards
MC

Wow! How did you take the photo of the name - very clear!

Additional; I like Tyzack saws, and have several, some of which are pictured here:

http://galootcentral.com/index.php?opti ... s&album=50

(coppermine link - liable to rot)

BugBear

I found an open handle version on this side of the pond, split nuts but no elephant logo, and mine dated about 1860 according to a fellow at a tool collecting club who was the resident saw expert. He also advised that split nuts were not used much after 1880, so I'd say your saw is likely somewhere around 1870-1880.

Admiral":enexlc93 said:
I found an open handle version on this side of the pond, split nuts but no elephant logo, and mine dated about 1860 according to a fellow at a tool collecting club who was the resident saw expert. He also advised that split nuts were not used much after 1880, so I'd say your saw is likely somewhere around 1870-1880.

In this case I will clean it softly, sharpen it and use very carefully. :lol:

Cheers Pedder

Admiral":od0x32ok said:
... He also advised that split nuts were not used much after 1880

If that's the case, old saws are very common over here :)

BugBear (with many split nut saws)

Latest posts

Back