How NOT to get selected for a Jury

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rorschach":2o2e6xn9 said:
Have you replied to the letter? If not just burn it. Last time I checked they don't arrive registered post so you can claim it never arrived if they follow up. If I ever get called it's what I will do, I agree with juries in principal but if I ever got called up I cannot financially afford to do it, my work would be ruined.

I'm with him.

Seeing the wife getting called up. She specializes in treating young children, girls mainly with severe eating disorders and has a huge case load. She's the only one seeing such patients in the city and she made the mistake of replying to the letter and they wouldn't accept that she shouldn't really take the time off as it would impact patient care. She sat on her buttocks in the "waiting area" for over a week.

Me - I'm self employed and can't afford to do it.

Funny how the rest of the Criminal Court circus is paid stupendous amounts but they offer a real pittance for loss of earnings.

Is this you OP

victor.jpg

phil.p":2y9mzc1k said:
Rorschach":2y9mzc1k said:
I agree with juries in principal but if I ever got called up I cannot financially afford to do it, my work would be ruined.

Which is why it makes sense to chose jurors from retired people.

Yeah I could agree with that. Being paid a pension to do nothing anyway :mrgreen:

You could try and blag it by saying the defendant is known to you, or an acquaintance, or your acquainted with another family member. Don't know if check up on those things, but straight off your telling a lie in a sort of legal scenario, might get a bit involved some legal angle, perjury or something. Try Googling I think if sick is a good reason. I did Jury service once then as now with my long hair, on the 3rd day they had to send someone out to find me. I was happily sitting in a music shop playing electric guitar, court not very impressed.

An employess of mine got selected for jury service.

It turned out to be car crash insurance fraud and it went on for 8 weeks!

If you get a murder at the old bailey, it coukd go on for 6 months.

Or you dont get picked!

If I was retired and picked, I would be happy to do it.

RobinBHM":3b7lndox said:
If I was retired and picked, I would be happy to do it.

Well I wouldn't, I have enough to do now I'm retired and worked bloody hard all my life to get to this stage, besides having a jury made up solely of people over retirement age is not a true balance across society.

And.. as far as
"Being paid a pension to do nothing anyway"
is concerned the pensions we receive whether state or and private have, for most of us, been paid for during a lifetime of work. Many of us also paid vast amounts into pension pots with the promise of being able to retire in comfort only to see that evaporate.

BTW I did my jury service while I was self employed and sat there losing money and business only to see the guilty party sentenced to community service for the umpteeth time so he got away with it and cost all of us who pay tax, rather a lot of money.

I find it funny that I have never been asked, but my wife has 3 times. She has so far managed to get out due to being a full time carer.

Myfordman":1ap4j9hb said:
please don't bother writing "Its your Civil Duty....." type comments because I'm not interested.

Golly good, excellent example of the self centred attitude of some of the older generation (either totally community spirited or miserable "life revolves around me" gits).
I'm amazed how no one really seems to have commented in a negative way on this, I guess because the majority are like minded and have the same attitude. As for the one's offering advice on how to dodge duty by lying, well shame on you.

doctor Bob":113epd6p said:
Myfordman":113epd6p said:
please don't bother writing "Its your Civil Duty....." type comments because I'm not interested.

Golly good, excellent example of the self centred attitude of some of the older generation (either totally community spirited or miserable "life revolves around me" gits).
I'm amazed how no one really seems to have commented in a negative way on this, I guess because the majority are like minded and have the same attitude. As for the one's offering advice on how to dodge duty by lying, well shame on you.
No, some of us agree with the principle of your post, if not the wording. I was just respecting his wishes in the original post and not commenting in the negative :)

MattRoberts":2j6rpak2 said:
doctor Bob":2j6rpak2 said:
Myfordman":2j6rpak2 said:

No, some of us agree with the principle of your post, if not the wording. I was just respecting his wishes in the original post and not commenting in the negative :)

+1

If we are supposed to live in a free country, why can't you just say " no thanks" and that's the end of it,

MattRoberts":vvew7ug4 said:
doctor Bob":vvew7ug4 said:
Myfordman":vvew7ug4 said:

Fair point, i thought about the opening statement and quoted it, purely for the principle that if you post something on an open forum you shouldn't try and dictate the outcome you want. I for example could say "all woodworkers are *!*!*s, please don't respond if you don't agree. I really think if you want to post behaving like a selfish c-ck on an open forum you can't command whether you want negative responses or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back