How much will a new workshop cost????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Welsh Workshop

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I am moving and all of the properties I have looked at have double garages that I can use for my workshop, I dismissed looking at other properties without garages/workshops. I have seen several people building their own workshops and I would like to know how much they actually cost to build. I may then be able to consider building my own and consequently have more to choose from.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Matthew.

Hi Matthew

The price depends on many things really - type of floor, roof, the dimensions, building materials, typs of insulation etc..

As a guide, my workshop (which you can find the the thread in the projects section) has cost me about 2.5k so far without insulation and internal cladding. Once all done, I estimate my workshop would have cost about 3k.

Well I currently have a double garage measuring approx. 17' x 17' and it's not big enough....

I am thinking of a workshop approx. 15' x 30', it will depend on the garden,location,etc...
The square shape of my current workshop does not work well for me, so I would like to try a different shape.

Does anyone have a preference on workshop shape???

Cheers Matthew.

My one is 6.5m x 4.8m and cost roughly £5.5k for materials inc internal finish eg plasterboarding (not skimmed) and electrics. There are two more 1220mm windows on the other side and one more on the end plus a couple of veluxes. Construction is 2x4.

HTH

Cheers

Tim

I really don't want to sound unhelpful, but the answer is a question. How much do you want it to cost?

Mine is an add-on to a 1930s house, brick, with a room above. It was part of a bigger extension we did when we bought the house. The whole job cost about 17K but before you have a heart attack, that was everything, kitchen, extra bedroom etc. So if you siad the workshop bit was 1/3 of that? It's connected to the house central heating, abuts the neighbours extension, so is nice and cosy.

That was 15 years ago.

You are right to consider the shape. Mine is only 3m wide at its narrowest and that cuases me no end of problems. I'd sacrifice a bit of length for a bit of width (no sniggering at the back there!). Not possible without annexing the neighbours.

You are on a big adventure.. :)
S

Matthew

I have 5m x 10m (15' x 30') and I find it a very nice size. Door on short wall. Window on long one.

I've got T/S (Jet), P/T, bandsaw, Router table, big drill press on cabinet, 3 big tool chests, 2 shelving units, Wood rack, bench + another narrow bench along one end wall and also a temporary "glue up" table on trestles in the middle and still have plenty room to swing a cat!

Oh, and the wheelbarrow and garden tools co-habit too.

Cheers

I've had long thin workshops and golden rectangles and square, somehow square worked better, not sure why, possibly it felt as if the walking distances where shorter or everything seemed closer at hand, admittedly they where for professional use but I suspect it's relative.

Dom

I reckon mine will come in around 3K, although I haven't added any prices up at all yet.

adam

Built an extension on my existing shed of 2.5m x 2.5m,single skin brick,ply and felt roof,cost about £1,000 all in two years ago (no labour costs - built it myself)

If I was starting from scratch,would go for something like 4m x 6m studwork/insulation/cladding (believe 30 sq.metres is the limit for planning permission)

Andrew

same here, I reckon it will be prety near to 3k

My workshop which is a sort of sheperds hut, come railway carriage is only 10ft x 8ft. :oops:

I wish it was bigger about twice as big.

My advice is to make it as big as you can. The bigger the better!

At the moment I'm agonising over whether I should remove my comfy chair for a pillar drill.

The chair is so nice to fall a sleep in after lunch on Sunday or a place to have a smoke of my trusty old pipe away from the children and missus.

The pillar drill would be great for drilling straight holes.

If my hut was bigger I could have both - heaven :)

Esc.

My workshop (left in my avatar) was built almost two years ago and measures 24' X 13' and cost me just under 2K that incuded the electrics and insulation although the internal cladding isn't yet finished. It stands on 18 concrete piers and is covered in shiplap with T&G roof and flooring. That cost also included the double glazed units. :wink:

I put some of the costs in my build thread. We have a double brick garage (5m x 5m) with a 3mx3m workshop at there rear. The basic build ran to over £15K. So the answer to your question is it will cost anything from £200 for a 6'x6' garden shed up to several £K for a brick built affair.

Hi Mathew,

The general consensus is 'make it as big as you can' and the cost thing is much like 'how long is a piece of strung' :)

You don't have to do everything in year one, if you can get the basic structure built, and a decent floor, a few electric points & lights you could get started on woodworking. In year two you could add roof & wall insulation, more points, etc.

Just a thought. IIRC one of the American icons of cabinet making started with a kind of lean too, open on three sides, I won't say a name 'cos I'm not certain 'tho I have a couple of names in mind :oops:

Of course he was probably in California where we all know it nevers rains, snows, gets too cold or hot, and everyone is rich :roll:

Nothing if you have the tools already and use a garage (assuming light and power are already connected)

I had to buy two additional sockets and one fluorescent fitting for mine, so under £50 in total

Tony":2ynaatxk said:
Nothing if you have the tools already and use a garage (assuming light and power are already connected)

I had to buy two additional sockets and one fluorescent fitting for mine, so under £50 in total

So he's already looking at places with garages.... the question is... how much does an external "typical" workshop cost to build. If a single garage adds £5K to a house property? Then you are quids in if you build one for £3K, and its far better insulated and "moisture" proof. For me, I'm building mine in kit form, so I can take it to the next place too, so amortise the cost over a much longer period of time.

Adam

Latest posts

Back