how long?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve71

Reaction score
How long should oak be left to air dry before it is OK to use?

I used french oak which had been air dried for 5 years (so I was informed by the scirie) to make up a 50mm thick kitchen worktop. I then used all the offcuts to knock up a refectory table for the kitchen.

After about 8 -9 months in situ, the worktop remained stable although where I had 90 degree joins these opened by about a mm.

The table had bread board ends which showed about 3mm either end as the planked sections shrunk.

As a comparison, I have a dining table which is english oak and over 60 years old. I have owned this table for about 15 years and it has been stable thro' that time, that is up to the point I spent 3 years in central france - humidity and temp differences. The bread board ends of this table now show about 5mm, that is only since that time in france.

Is this movement completely inevitable?

steve

As a general rule wood will air dry at about a year-an-inch. The problem though is that outdoors the wood will never dry below ~16% (in the UK) so needs time to acclimatise indoors to reach it's equilibrium moisture content (emc), which will depend on the general temp/humidity in the room it lives in - eg a sealed centrally heated room will require a lower emc (8-10%) than a draughty intermittently-heated room (12-14%)

Brian

If you are going to be ripping the wood into smaller sections for your project, I suggest you do this to rough dimensions after the air drying and during the acclimatisation stage. this will expose new internal surfaces and assist the moisture stabilisation process.

Bob

Latest posts

Back