How do people stamp words into wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ives

Established Member
Reaction score
I keep seeing this, and wonder how they do it. Some kind of branding kit where you can change the letters around?

Ives":2ijs9v3g said:
I keep seeing this, and wonder how they do it. Some kind of branding kit where you can change the letters around?

Hi Ives

Are you talking about maker's marks....owner's names or something else?

Jim

Everything! Personalisation with a child's name, a whole poem, also the maker's brand/mark. I'd link you to an example but I don't want the people seeing me trying to figure out how they do it in a trackback. I don't even want one, just super curious because I can't figure it otu! If you want, I can pm you the link if you promise to copy and paste it into the browser so it's not linked to here!

Ives":3ryrnp3h said:
Everything! Personalisation with a child's name, a whole poem, also the maker's brand/mark. I'd link you to an example but I don't want the people seeing me trying to figure out how they do it in a trackback. I don't even want one, just super curious because I can't figure it otu! If you want, I can pm you the link if you promise to copy and paste it into the browser so it's not linked to here!

My wife used pyrography to do it...she could get amazing results freehand but if you don't have a particular artistic bent you can use templates. Google "pyrography" will get you lots of ideas.

Maker's stamps are usually made in steel and then hardened to prevent it from damage and wear...this is mine:

DSC_0252.JPG

...made by a great artist at Chalco Stamps.

You can put your name on tools etc using letter stamps which are regularly found on FleaBay:

DSC_0181.JPG

These are old ones as I love old fonts...(shown here right)...

DSC_0180.JPG

The one on the left without serifs is newer.

I hope this is what you are thinking about..if not, by all means PM me and I will try to help.

Cheers

Jimi

Most lettering, pictures and the like will be done with lasers these days, CNC controlled. Sand blasting is another way but best done on larger planks of wood, a mask is put onto the wood and and the the letters etched with a sandblaster. Both involve a large investment in kit £3000 min second hand

Back